Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
AppleTard
AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AppleTard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
eReader like iBooks for Windows?

Hi people. I'm new here, and I've been trying to find something without any luck.

I want an eBoook reader for my PC that has an interface similar to Apple's iBooks:

I mean, it looks just like a real book, with page turns and all. It could support any open format, like HTML, epub or MOBI.

The closest one I found was Blio. The interface is pretty much how I want it, but the fact that it only supports the XPS (even though their site claims to support epub) format makes it useless for me.

Does anyone knows of a reader like this? (BTW, I've already tried Calibre, MS Reader, Adobe Digital Editions, Mobipocket and Kindle PC...)

EDIT: I've tried Cool Reader as well, and found it to be clunky and unwieldy...

Last edited by AppleTard; 11-14-2010 at 12:17 PM.
AppleTard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
nickdma
Enthusiast
nickdma began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Sadly, I don't think such an app exists. I've been looking ever since I got a Win7 tablet.

Blio sounded like it was going to be it, but as you discovered, epub support in nearly non-existant (it will download epub from feedbooks, then convert it to XPS). Even if you convert them yourself to XPS, it's still cludgy and buggy.

Hopefully someone will come up with something, as ebooks start to take off.
nickdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
remjax
remjax began at the beginning.

Device: toshiba E755,Zauru c1000
Try uBook

I like uBook. It can be skinned to do most of what you want.

http://www.gowerpoint.com/
remjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
You could also have a look at the EpubReader plugin for Firefox as it has settings to set the book as a two-page view. It doesn't have the page turning effect but it is pretty good and its the one that I use as my default epub reader on my tablet PC.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
huma79
huma79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Have you tried Martview? Seems to work fairly well for me. Supposedly it supports Windows 7 touch also.

http://www.martview.com/
huma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
moyarich
moyarich began at the beginning.

Device: Computer
You can still use Blio, there are a lot of conversion tools out there. Use Calibre to convert the epub file to PDF. Blio doesn't read PDF files, but those can be converted to XPS files in less than a minute http://pureinfotech.com/2010/09/29/trick-how-to-covert-pdf-to-xps-file-format-in-windows.

Last edited by moyarich; 05-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.
moyarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
V.W. Singer
Enthusiast
V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.V.W. Singer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: ppc
Have you tried yBook from Spacejock software? Its freeware.

yBook will read html files, txt files, rtf files and pdb/prc files (Palm document format).

It has a 2 page mode and page flipping animation, search, GoTo page, selectable font sizes, and background paper textures if you want it.
V.W. Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
lazz04
lazz04 began at the beginning.

I am also looking for an ereader like iBook, that reads multimedia epub format. Is there something out there that can do that? All the ones posted cannot read a video (mp4) or audio(mp3) files embedded in an epub.

For ereader use in a school without mobile equipment for everyone, we would like to be able to use ereader that is iBook like on the school laptops. Being able to have the ereader locally would eliminate the need for accessing the internet -

Having this capability would allow us to plan more projects with students using epub format.

Any ideas?
lazz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazz04 View Post
I am also looking for an ereader like iBook, that reads multimedia epub format. Is there something out there that can do that? All the ones posted cannot read a video (mp4) or audio(mp3) files embedded in an epub.

For ereader use in a school without mobile equipment for everyone, we would like to be able to use ereader that is iBook like on the school laptops. Being able to have the ereader locally would eliminate the need for accessing the internet -

Having this capability would allow us to plan more projects with students using epub format.

Any ideas?
You are a bit ahead of the curve. ePub as currently released does not support mp4 or mp3. The current release is version 2 and version 3 is still just a talking version, not yet released or implemented. Version 3 does do what you want. This is also an HTML5 issue so browsers running HTML5 will have this feature but it is not yet released as a standard either although Apple is pushing it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.W. Singer View Post
Have you tried yBook from Spacejock software? Its freeware.

yBook will read html files, txt files, rtf files and pdb/prc files (Palm document format).

It has a 2 page mode and page flipping animation, search, GoTo page, selectable font sizes, and background paper textures if you want it.
Thanks - I was just going to mention it and you beat me to it.

I released yBook in 2000/2001, and it's still being developed and supported.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Thanks - I was just going to mention it and you beat me to it.

I released yBook in 2000/2001, and it's still being developed and supported.
It is in our wiki along with some other of Spacejock work.

Dale
Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
lazz04
lazz04 began at the beginning.

epub bookshelf and reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You are a bit ahead of the curve. ePub as currently released does not support mp4 or mp3. The current release is version 2 and version 3 is still just a talking version, not yet released or implemented. Version 3 does do what you want. This is also an HTML5 issue so browsers running HTML5 will have this feature but it is not yet released as a standard either although Apple is pushing it.

Dale
There is an online site that allows you to create multimedia epubs that can be read online using Chrome. Chrome supports video and audio. You can download the epub for use with mobile devices such as iPad that supports multimedia video/audio. Take a look at [pirate site], or for education groups, try [pirate site] that supports group sharing of epub ebooks.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-25-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Deleted links to a pirate ebook site
lazz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazz04 View Post
There is an online site that allows you to create multimedia epubs that can be read online using Chrome. Chrome supports video and audio. You can download the epub for use with mobile devices such as iPad that supports multimedia video/audio. Take a look at [pirate site], or for education groups, try [pirate site] that supports group sharing of epub ebooks.
Chrome, like the iPad does support HTML5 but I didn't mention it as it is not the target platform the OP wanted. Chrome OS is only recently released with hardware. I have it in the wiki.

Dale

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-25-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Deleted links to a pirate ebook site