Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Borders Desktop books

Ok, so I have a bunch of free books in Borders/Kobo desktop reader and iPhone app. In searching the internet for a way to import them into Calibre, an older post in this forum (dating back to 2010) suggested opening the ascm file using the Adobe Digital Editions application.

So, I went and installed it on my Mac OS X and ADE does not open the files. Any other ideas?
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
If you already have the books showing in the kobo desktop reader then the epub/kepub should already be on your PC somehwere
In windows it's located in My Document/My digital Editions not sure where it is on a Mac but it must be somewhere similar.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Adobe Digital Editions is needed to open acsm (Adobe Content Server Message) files. Are you getting an error message when you try to open the acsm file using ADE? Have you authorized your computer? To authorize your computer in ADE do the following: 1) go to the Library View and then 2) select Authorize Computer from the Library menu.

Last edited by Joe563; 08-23-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Adobe Digital Editions is needed to open acsm (Adobe Content Server Message Files) files. Are you getting an error message when you try to open the acsm file using ADE? Have you authorized your computer? To authorize your computer in ADE do the following: 1) go to the Library View and then 2) select Authorize Computer from the Library menu.
ADE is downloaded and installed and activated/authorized. I go to open the acsm file and I right click on it and tell my Mac to open with Adobe Digital Editions. At first it looked like nothing happened but then it asked me if I wanted to continue the download, which I said OK to, but then the box disappeared.

Should there be some sort of progress bar?? [UPDATED] The internet here in Afghanistan is marginal at best some days. Right after I hit "submit" then progress bar came up. Thanks again Joe

Thanks

Last edited by rpmazur; 08-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

On a Windows PC as soon as you right click on an acsm file and chose open with ADE, ADE will start and the book starts downloading.

You mention Borders in your opening post. Have you migrated your library to Kobo? If not here is link with instructions on how to do that. In any event, you should try to redownload the acsm files and try again to open them with ADE. If that does not work you could try to uninstall and then reinstall ADE.

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

Last edited by Joe563; 08-23-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
rpmazur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
On a Windows PC as soon as you right click on an acsm file and chose open with ADE, ADE will start and the book starts downloading.

You mention Borders in your opening post. Have you migrated your library to Kobo? If not here is link with instructions on how to do that. In any event, you should try to redownload the acsm files and try again to open them with ADE. If that does not work you could try to uninstall and then reinstall ADE.

What version of Mac OS X are you using?
I'm using OS X (Leopard, I think.). I installed ADE and authorized it with no problem. On the Kobo website, after going to My Library, I was able to download the ePub versions of some of the books. Some of the books had a download button, others did not. The ones that had the button asked me if I wanted to open or save. When clicking open (and specifying ADE) they downloaded into ADE with no issues.

Also, I already merged the Borders account with Kobo. The desktop software that I downloaded from the Kobo site was the Borders software, but that was before their demise. I am looking to see if there's an update to the software.

Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Joe563

If you have purchased a book from Kobo/Borders and do not have a download option you should contact Kobo customer support to have that fixed.

Email Kobo anytime, 24-hours a day at: help@kobobooks.com

Also, the current version of the Kobo Desktop Application is 2.0.3.