Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I did download yours and just renamed it, will try to download again.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
GregorRichards
Connoisseur
GregorRichards doesn't litterGregorRichards doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
Just renamed it? Not extracted it? It needs to be un-gzip'd first.
GregorRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I was successful in running debian, but can't get vnc to utilize the whole screen. I've attached my slightly altered script with the .ko modules for the DR1000. If anyone can spot the mistake I made, please tell.

I also tried to restart debian, which wasn't a very good idea it seems. I lost the keyboard and it wouldn't start any programs anymore. Also, pressing 'exit' is generally not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorRichards View Post
Sweet. If you get it working on the DR1000, I'd love to see a photo
This would be hard, as I don't have a camera.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drebian script DR1000.zip (786.8 KB, 253 views)
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
GregorRichards
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
I was successful in running debian, but can't get vnc to utilize the whole screen. I've attached my slightly altered script with the .ko modules for the DR1000. If anyone can spot the mistake I made, please tell.
That's odd ... does it still display the DR1000's menu, or does it try to scroll, or ...?

Quote:
I also tried to restart debian, which wasn't a very good idea it seems. I lost the keyboard and it wouldn't start any programs anymore. Also, pressing 'exit' is generally not a good idea
How did you restart it? Just exiting VNC (which should work fine), or trying to restart something from within Debian?

Quote:
This would be hard, as I don't have a camera.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
That's odd ... does it still display the DR1000's menu, or does it try to scroll, or ...?
It shows debian in the center in a 768x1024 frame. All around this it's black. The pointy thing won't go in the dark area.

Quote:
How did you restart it? Just exiting VNC (which should work fine), or trying to restart something from within Debian?
I tried to restart from within Debian, hoping it would solve the problem with the resolution. The image is useless now (I think), so I'm now copying the original image back again (takes some 30 minutes).
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

I did gunzip it first before renaming ...

but now after several tries it finally works!! great. The problem on my side was presumably that I had troubles copying the entire 1GB loop file to my SD card. There remains one small bug (I believe, but I am not completely sure though): the first run still gives an error as /mnt does not exist and is only created during that run, see attached log2.txt. Nice stuff, thanks a lot for all your help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log2.txt (1.2 KB, 280 views)
Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
rvs
Groupie

It fully works here now too!

Copying the old image back didn't do anything, but then I restarted the DR and now it works in all fullscreen glory

btw... how did you get gimp running? It doesn't seem to be on the image you provided.

Last edited by rvs; 08-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
fekhner
Addict

confirming that rvs's version for DR1000 works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2011-08-10 at 21.36.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	75378  
Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #24
GregorRichards
Connoisseur

Quote:
btw... how did you get gimp running? It doesn't seem to be on the image you provided.
The image is pretty minimal. I installed it with apt. To do that you'll need to get networking working. To do that:
  • Get usbnet working (see the VNC post I linked before)
  • Configure forwarding on the host. See e.g. http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/nat.html for instructions on that (for a Linux host; for other OSes, you're on your own)
  • Configure the DR to route through the host: route add default gw 192.168.200.1
  • Give the DR nameservers: echo -e 'nameserver 8.8.8.8\nnameserver 8.8.4.4' > /etc/resolv.conf

Then just `apt-get install gimp`. (Or `aptitude install gimp`, or install it with synaptic)
Old 08-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
GregorRichards
Connoisseur

Oh, and per the non-working stuff on DR1000, the only way you can really cleanly unentangle Debian is to reboot the DR, so it's not surprising that that left it in a weird state. That being said, unless you did something truly terrible, rebooting the DR should have been sufficient, it shouldn't have been necessary to rewrite the image :P
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
rvs
Groupie

Thanks, it works

Click image for larger version

Name:	drebian.png
Views:	372
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	75380
Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #27
GregorRichards
Connoisseur

Isn't it amazing how bad the GIMP is on this device? :P

It'd be better if it had custom refresh logic *shrugs*
Old 08-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #28
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how bad the GIMP is on this device? :P

It'd be better if it had custom refresh logic *shrugs*
I'm amazed it works at all
Old 08-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #29
fekhner
Addict

Can anyone get chess fully working through DRebian ?

I installed gnuchess, fairymax and xboard, eboard like suggested in this thread, but neither fully works in the end. This could be due to my limited knowledge of the chess program, of linux or of the way to use the stylus instead of the mouse on the DR, I am not completely sure. See also this thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146948

Cheers,
f