Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
I'm not sure what being an IT professional has to do with police investigations,
You're not sure what being an IT professional has to do with a police investigation that would start with asking for an IP address?
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
richard_iii
Coder extrordinaire
richard_iii began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I'm gonna get some popcorn and sit down to watch this. Ok IT pro, your turn
richard_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammin2 View Post
I'm so frustrated with all of this. Because everyone that I have spoken with at B&N keeps insisting that I had to of made those purchases from MY device.
Not any chance someone else had access to your device and made the purchases is there? A friend of mine's kid recently got a hold of his NC and bought $30 worth of apps for it. Just wondering since they're telling you the orders came from your device and it should be pretty easy for them to tell that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_iii View Post
I'm gonna get some popcorn and sit down to watch this. Ok IT pro, your turn
I'm pretty much done with this. He's a bit too confrontational about it all, and I don't really care what he has to say any more.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
File a dispute with your credit card company anyway - that 2-3 cycles thing is a lie. They're hoping you'll forget about it in the meantime.

You have internet access to your credit card, don't you? A refund will show up within a DAY or, at most, two business days of processing. Keep checking, and if it hasn't shown up by your next statement, then file that paperwork!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #21
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another thought - did you ask B&N how many NCs are registered to your account? They should be able to make a serial number check.

If you don't get the rogue NC deregistered, this will keep happening.

EDIT: I just checked my BN account - I have two NCs registered, the one I have and the one I returned. You should be able to check and see if there's another device registered to your account. Go to 'My Account', under 'Digital Management' click on 'My Nook'.

Change your password while you're there.

Last edited by khalleron; 07-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
In the future I would use a prepaid credit card or gift card for purchases.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
In the future I would use a prepaid credit card or gift card for purchases.
It wasn't the OP's credit card that was stolen, it was the BN account.

Probably a better solution would be to not have a credit card linked to the account at all, except when actually making a purchase.

That would mean no magazine subscriptions, though.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #24
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
OP did u use same password on nook color and your email address? If you are using gmail, check forwarding and make sure your emails are not being forwarded.

As far as police investigation. In NYC police departments will not lift a finger for this amount of money involved. They are much too busy with other crimes then to deal with this. I got scammed a while ago online and went to my local precinct to try to get a police report so I can contact the local PD of the scammer. I was basically told sorry we can't help u and good luck. It was around $300. Funny thing is without a police report in NYC the PD of the scammer refused to help me either.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
Oh I understand that It was his BN account that was hacked but attaching it to a prepaid card of some kind limits what can be stolen from him. I had a friend's account hacked and the account was connected to her debit card and they cleaned out her accound and she also incurred lots of over draft fees.

I also enable the 'require password' for all purchases. That way someone that is just looking at the device is not able to purchase books without knowing the password or asking me to purchase it.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Probably a better solution would be to not have a credit card linked to the account at all, except when actually making a purchase.
Is that possible? Do both the account and device work correctly if you remove the last card?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
As far as police investigation. In NYC police departments will not lift a finger for this amount of money involved. They are much too busy with other crimes then to deal with this. I got scammed a while ago online and went to my local precinct to try to get a police report so I can contact the local PD of the scammer. I was basically told sorry we can't help u and good luck. It was around $300. Funny thing is without a police report in NYC the PD of the scammer refused to help me either.
I was reading a news story yesterday about a guy in St. Louis who had his cell phone stolen. The phone in question had a remote tracking app on it for that very circumstance. The police were too busy to go to the street address it was at to arrest the perp until after the battery on the phone died.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #28
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
...I also enable the 'require password' for all purchases. That way someone that is just looking at the device is not able to purchase books without knowing the password or asking me to purchase it.
Where do you enable this feature? I could not find it at all.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #29
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
For the Color and the Touch it's under the Shop heading in the settings. I think that's where it's at on the Classic as well, but my Classic isn't right here for me to check.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I recently bought a refurb model, and the password feature was already checked. I don't know how to uncheck it, not that I really plan to. Also, I removed my credit card information from the B&N site, and everything works fine, as long as I don't order a book or app (even free ones).
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote