Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

Update / Downgrade

As I'm getting to my 5th attempt trying to install Ermine, while reading through the many Ermine posts, I figure we might as well have one thread to collect specifically information and experiences in updating/downgrading only. So to get the ball rolling:

Update to Ermine:
1) Confirm that you want to receive it by logging into your entourage store account and going to this page:
https://www.entourageedge.com/customer/account/
At the top will be a message in red telling you it's available and whether you want to participate -> follow the instructions until it confirms that you are participating (This may also work from the Store app)
2) On your Edge, launch the Update app from the pull-out tray. It will tell you an update is available and you can choose to proceed. Follow the instructions and wait until it's done (if you're lucky)

Notes:
- There is no separate, self-contained update file available at this time.
- You know you have it because the main screen has now a big green lock that you need to slide over to start using the Edge. Under Settings - About Edge, it will clearly state under "Build number" ERMINE-0.9 (as opposed to stating DINGO-x.xx)

Downgrade back to Dingo:
1) Download the required firmware file from the link / follow the instructions on this page:
https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263
2) To avoid being offered the update again, go to the same page as for the update:
https://www.entourageedge.com/customer/account/
But this time click on the link to cancel participation in the BETA that you previously agreed to.

Notes:
- I can confirm that the update.golden.zip and instructions above work, I was able to get back to Firmware 1.6 / Build Number DINGO-1.13

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 04-13-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

So now to my own experience so far: Took advantage of the Amazon offer for the Pocket Edge in black, received it sooner than expected, did the initial setup/registration and immediately followed the steps above to update to Ermine.

Tried from 2 different WiFi connections, both were slow on the PE, both in Bandwidth Test and actual Update Download, despite that one of them was much faster than the speed I got on the PE (with bandwidth to spare) Never got more than 4-500kbps even though the lines had several mbps available as per other devices on the same network... anybody else experienced that or did you get higher speeds?

Attempt 1: Had to force quit after coming back from blank screen (I can understand that the powersaving would be aggressive, but less than one minute before blanking is a bit much on battery and certainly ridiculous when running of AC power... and I couldn't find a way to change it?)

Attempt 2: Got the download screen, but never finished download. Had to start over.

Attempt 3: Left unattended after download started, returned hours later to be back at desktop, but still on Dingo.

Attempt 4: Nursing it slowly through: Download went from 36% back to 7%, then some more then back again until it eventually finished, displayed a message saying it would reboot and install the update, after that back to the desktop, still on Dingo...

Attempt 5: Just finished "golden update" back to factory-default Dingo, about to start another download/install, will report back.

P.S.: Of course I made sure that my account is displaying the message that I have chosen to participate in the beta.

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 04-13-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Typos

Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #3
Filark
Edge User

Hi Grumpy!

The only thing I can help with is how to change the screen timeout. It's in Settings/Sound & Display/Screen Timeout. However, at least in Dingo, 5 minutes is the longest option available. Unless someone else knows different??

I like how clearly you've laid out the upgrade/downgrade instructions!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

Thanks for the tip, I wasn't looking there... on the other hand Ermine now has the Power Savings setting that i was looking for

Yes, finally success! I knew things were going to be different because this time when it finished, it didn't just reboot after a while, but the ereader side had an update message/logo, and after the reboot, after a short display of the usual startup, it actually showed a lengthy "updating software" screen on the LCD panel.

So it's many days ahead of exploring the many distracting facets of the FrankensteinReader (as opposed to the single-purpose devices I mostly used until now)

Old 04-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Filark
Edge User

Congratulations!!

If it only takes you days you are ahead of the curve!! (Maybe I should speak only for myself -- I still have a long learn-how-to list after ~2 months. Of course, once I mastered ereading and puzzle-game downloads my learning has slowed way down! )

Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Excellent work on that first post, Grumpy Now we have somewhere to direct people that ask "How to I install Ermine"

Your experience of requiring multiple download & update attempts is not unheard off. I've had the issue in the past, as have a few others. It's not common, but if the first attempt doesn't work, simply keep retrying (as many as 6-10 times), and eventually it will work.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
obsessed2
Edge User

I should be getting me PEs on Friday so I REALLY appreciate this post. Especially the part about possibly having to try 6-10 times to get the update to load. I have to admit most people would become frustrated and give up after the 4th or 5th try so this is good to know information.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
So it's many days ahead of exploring the many distracting facets of the FrankensteinReader (as opposed to the single-purpose devices I mostly used until now)
Please let us know how it goes. I should be getting my PE by Friday and I'm both excited and nervous about the Ermine upgrade. I have read everything on this post from sheer delight to utter horror so I'm interested to see how your upgrade experience pans out.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
attemptress
Edge User

One suggestion: If you keep getting failed downloads, you may want to be sure you've set your wi-fi not to shut off when the device is plugged in (otherwise, it may turn-off when the device "sleeps"). To do this, go to network settings, then press the menu button. A two-button menu will pop-up. Press "advanced". Press "Wi-Fi sleep policy" at the top of the screen. Select either "Never" or "Never when plugged in."

That might help.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
jcpj_ca
Edge User

Is the indication of a valid 2.2 ermine upgrade file downloaded - that the update process starts automatically. My device spent the whole day downloading and then restarting. I returned to work with an indication that a update was ready to install. When I tapped on the notification I a popup screen asking me if I wanted to install the update and I tapped the yes button. After a double boot screen the first going to two dots and the second full through it reported that it was still at Dingo 1.6 Build 2.6.29.

I have verified from the support screen that I am part of the BETA program.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
Franky
Edge User

Great post, this thread.
Well, I think that if the old man can do it, I should be able to do it. Basically, I wanna upgrade. on the other hand I'm not a fan of beta versions. I rather wait for an official one. And if I do go for this beta stuff, I wanna be sure that I'm able to go back to where I am now. with a not-willing-to-answer company, it's probably the only option I've got. Try the beta version.

I do hope this upgrade and downgrade is not only for this pocket thing.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Filark
Edge User

Here's some official info that shows the downgrade is for both: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263. Sounds scary! It put me off for quite some time, but now that I have finally upgraded (PE) I see what all the fuss is about.

I hope your transition to Ermine is as painless as mine was, Franky!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
WJSimacek
Edge User

UPgrading now....Love U guys & gals!!!

I just Wooted my Pocket eDGe a few days ago and thought this would be great fun to try. Thanks to all of you, I'm having a blast.