Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #361
Edward_R
Edge User

Received my PE on 4/29 upgraded to Ermine on 5/4 went into Hibernation on 5/17 and ended up with WSOD. Did two or three resets with no luck. Powered off until morning of 5/18 still no luck. Ran Golden Update and had to recalibrate the E-ink side (successful downgrade ?) still WSOD. Filled out support ticket evening of 5/18 received RMA info on 5/19 and shipped PE back on 5/20. Hopefully I get it back soon. I've heard that WSOD is happening to other devices running 2.2 so I'm thinking about waiting until a stable release is announced before upgrading again. I never gave 1.6 a thorough test so I guess this will be my chance.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #362
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
Received my PE on 4/29 upgraded to Ermine on 5/4 went into Hibernation on 5/17 and ended up with WSOD. Did two or three resets with no luck. Powered off until morning of 5/18 still no luck. Ran Golden Update and had to recalibrate the E-ink side (successful downgrade ?) still WSOD. Filled out support ticket evening of 5/18 received RMA info on 5/19 and shipped PE back on 5/20. Hopefully I get it back soon. I've heard that WSOD is happening to other devices running 2.2 so I'm thinking about waiting until a stable release is announced before upgrading again. I never gave 1.6 a thorough test so I guess this will be my chance.
I am running 2.2 on two Pocket Edges and one full size Edge and haven't had a problem. Initially I was a little worried that the WSOD problem may have been tied to the Ermine beta but, I no longer think this is the case. In fact, at one point I contemplated downgrading back to Dingo. Unfortunately you received one of the PEs that was destined to have this problem. However, you are not alone. Users of many other products including iPod, iPad, Blackberry, Tom Tom, and even some MP3 players have reported WSOD problems. Google it and you will be surprised. This is not something unique to the Edge community. I'm very sorry your machine White Screened on you and hopefully you have better luck with the replacement.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #363
Edward_R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I am running 2.2 on two Pocket Edges and one full size Edge and haven't had a problem. Initially I was a little worried that the WSOD problem may have been tied to the Ermine beta but, I no longer think this is the case. In fact, at one point I contemplated downgrading back to Dingo. Unfortunately you received one of the PEs that was destined to have this problem. However, you are not alone. Users of many other products including iPod, iPad, Blackberry, Tom Tom, and even some MP3 players have reported WSOD problems. Google it and you will be surprised. This is not something unique to the Edge community. I'm very sorry your machine White Screened on you and hopefully you have better luck with the replacement.
The fact that the WSOD is common amongst other devices and that I had no way of recovering from it short of returning it, coupled with the possibility of Entourage Tech support may disappear on us makes me even more leery of upgrading when I get my PE back.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #364
netrobot
Edge User

I upgraded my PE to Ermine right after it arrived, and I've never had a WSOD. What is the thinking on why this happens to some and not others? Shouldn't all PE units respond the same way to the same software/process?

When Entourage fades away, will anyone turn up with a copy of the Ermine upgrade? (otherwise, issues requiring "golden upgrade" to Dingo will mean the device is STUCK THERE.)

And will Ermine be debugged or developed any further after Entourage moves on?
(and will it be here long enough for anyone to answer this?)

Thanks