Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
hollowayhouse
hollowayhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub: paragraph vs/ chapter line spacing

When I convert my RTF file to an ePub file, it automatically puts spacing between my paragraphs. When I choose the "remove spacing between paragraphs" option, it ALSO removes spacing between my chapter headings, subheadings, etc., as well as making my subheads indent rather than staying flush left.

How do I remove the spacing between paragraphs, but LEAVE the other spacing I've formatted?

Thanks.
hollowayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use an ebook editing tool, like Sigil.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I really don't like the automatic assumption that you want to add spaces between paragraphs also. I don't get why there isn't an option to turn this off somewhere. Commercial ebooks I buy don't have it. Standard paperbacks or hardcovers don't have it either. Why would you want to toss in a bunch of extra spaces that aren't in the source material?

It seems weird to me that not only is it the default option, you can't turn it off with a checkbox somewhere.

I posted on this same topic a while ago (and I've seen a few more post about it since).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106305

Idolse suggested this to reduce the spacing size down:

p {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0.3em}

I used this instead for no extra spacing at all - it does the trick - no extra lines, no need to click the "remove lines between paragraphs" which also strips out lines that should be there.

p {margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0em}

Add to the Extra CSS under Look and Feel. It's my default option now.

Otter also suggested this which worked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
I had the same problem and this worked for me, not sure if it will for you but am happy to share what I found. Open the rtf in Word and then save it as Other File Type --> Web Page, Filtered. Then import the new file into calibre and covert it using calibre to epub. Leave the option to remove extra blank lines unchecked. Each time I have done this I end up with an epub that retains the original blank lines (change in narrator, change in scene, other intentional blank lines, etc) but it no longer has a blank line after each and every paragraph, line of dialogue etc. No idea how or why this works, but it does for me....hope it is of some help to you!

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-24-2011 at 03:35 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
hollowayhouse
hollowayhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The extra CSS did the trick!! Thanks so much for posting.
hollowayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
line spacing, paragraph spacing