Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I didn't notice any performance increase either... kind of odd I was expecting at least a little more snappiness going from 2.1 -> 2.2.

Did they add anything to the file "manager" or Library -> My Files like being able to do something useful like move/delete "files"? (I forgot to check before I said meh and powered off the NC again...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Did they add anything to the file "manager" or Library -> My Files like being able to do something useful like move/delete "files"? (I forgot to check before I said meh and powered off the NC again...)
No. One of the first things I tried was using the file manager to move from SD card to main memory and there's still no way to do it. I had to use Calibre to do it.
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
michaelhughes
michaelhughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
So will the rooting process be any different after this update or is that still to be seen?
michaelhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #19
Snard
Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Upgrade 1.2 is very disappointing from my perspective. The fact that B&N named it 1.2 rather than 2.0 says it all. I never gave a damn about the stupid Android apps, my iPad does that better than Android ever will, but I was hoping B&N had improved the native ePub reader. B&N did NOT make any significant changes to the reader. It is stll the same old POS it has always been. No landscape, few fonts, few formating options, no 2nd level TOC entries, etc.
That's odd; the article posted on Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/b...s-and-flash-w/) says that landscape reading has been added. I don't have the download yet so I can't verify their claim. Has anyone else noticed if books can be read in landscape? (other than the children's books from before that could ONLY be read in landscape)
Snard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by belden View Post
-They finally added the one feature I wanted the most: sideloaded books can be added to the home screen and recently read books show up in the bar at the bottom. It's worth pointing out though that from my testing as far as I can tell this only applies to books on the main memory of the NC and not ones on the SD card. Books added from the SD card showed up on the home screen but then disappeared after a restart.
Sounds good, but it'd be nice if SD card books applied as well.

Did the add bookmarking (or at least last read) to the PDF reading app? As it stands now the PDF app is pretty much useless to me.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
The update hasn't come down on my Nook yet, is there something I Need to do, or just wait?
as of right now it's a manual update only. from BN.com within the upcoming weeks it'll be available via over the air.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
I've tried it on a sideloaded book, and it doesn't go into landscape mode.

I set up my Gmail account in mail, and there's a little icon at the bottom left of the screen telling me how many new emails I have.

I also downloaded the MyCast Weather app ($4.99), and it is neat! It puts the temperature in the bar at the bottom of the screen, and when I touch the Nook Color's notifications icon, the temperature, location, current weather, and weather alerts come up along with the SD card and Nook info. Cool!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
belden
Enthusiast
belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.belden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Did the add bookmarking (or at least last read) to the PDF reading app? As it stands now the PDF app is pretty much useless to me.
I never read PDFs on the NC because like you said, it is pretty much useless. I loaded one and tried it, as far as I can tell it is the exact same QuickOffice program with no changes whatsoever. There's still no option to add bookmarks and leaving the PDF and coming back took me back to the first page so it doesn't remember where you left off either.

ezPDF Reader is available in the app store for $.99. I downloaded it and tried it out, it's so much better it's not even funny.
belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
I just listed all the apps I have on mine and will do a backup as well.
What does a backup for the nook entail and what will it backup? I've only had my nc about two weeks - rooted it right away and have got it setup nicely now.

As others have said I'd hate to lose what I have now for an 'upgrade' that will not come close to the usability I have.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #25
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Wow. I was really hoping this wouldn't break my rooting set-up. I guess I'll keep the WiFi off as much as possible for now. Hopefully the rooting process will still work after the update.

I agree about the lack of apps and pricing, $2.99 for Angry Birds?!!!!!! I was expecting something much ...... more exciting.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn View Post
What does a backup for the nook entail and what will it backup? I've only had my nc about two weeks - rooted it right away and have got it setup nicely now.

As others have said I'd hate to lose what I have now for an 'upgrade' that will not come close to the usability I have.
Second, I would like to know this as well.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Can't say that I'm surprised. The major shortcomings of the stock reader app and update 1.1 were precursors to this. I've outgrown the stock device. I'll just buy an Android tablet now and move on.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #28
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can't say that I'm surprised. The major shortcomings of the stock reader app and update 1.1 were precursors to this. I've outgrown the stock device. I'll just buy an Android tablet now and move on.
It would be amusing (and sad) if this "update" caused a lot of rooted NC owners to sell their device and upgrade to an honest-to-goodness tablet.

I'm perfectly happy with my NC at the moment, but I don't want my root broken with a pushed-without-my-acceptance update, and I don't want to have to stay off of WiFi eternally. Nor do I want to RE-root every time an update comes from B&N.

Does anyone know if there's a way to disable the updates? Really interested in this option.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm giving up on the NC too. Mine will be in the Fleamarket in a few days or less. What B&N took over 5 months to deliver as an update should have been done in a few weeks. Update 1.2 is pathetic. My NC has sat mostly unused since I got the iPad, and now that the disappointing update is out I see no reason to keep a clunky reader with an even clunkier OS.

[edit] I only cared about the "reader" aspect of the NC. It is really not that good unrooted, so that is why I'm getting rid of mine.

@Snard, read my lips and the countless other posts--no fricking landscape in the stock ePub reader. Any references to landscape are to the other apps, not the ePub reader. Any confusion is due to ignorant posters and the idiots in the B&N marketing dept who apparently have no problem with lying. Little to no formatting improvements were added. It is total rubbage as an ePub reader. The dictionary still cannot find words with diacritical marks, umlats, etc.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-25-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
I got the update. I like it. Well except for one thing...removing an app. I downloaded one, didnt like it. hit archive and it still shows in the app page labelled "install" and I want it to vanish
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote