Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Navigation buttons in News items on a Sony PRS-650

I'm not sure where to post this question, so I'll put it here for the moment.

I have Calibre 0.7.50 installed on two different WinXP notebooks. I generally use Calibre to fetch the news, and then transfer the news via a card reader to my SD card using the commands: Save to disk/Save single format to disk/EPUB.

On the first notebook, the files are rendered really nicely, with useful navigation buttons on the bottom of each page: "Article/Section Top/Table of Contents/Article". The news files are also marked as "Periodicals" on the Sony.

On the second notebook, the files aren't rendered as nicely, and the navigation elements (no buttons, just underlined text) appear only at the top of the page at the start/end of each article. Moreover, the news files are not marked as "Periodicals" on the Sony, but rather as "Books".

I would like to have my second notebook also include the convenient navigation buttons and store news files as 'Periodicals', but can't figure out how to do it. I put the computers side-by-side, and went through all the preferences/plug-in options, and they appear to be identical. I figure that somewhere there must be a setting or a preference that I am overlooking ...
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
I would like to have my second notebook also include the convenient navigation buttons and store news files as 'Periodicals', but can't figure out how to do it. I put the computers side-by-side, and went through all the preferences/plug-in options, and they appear to be identical. I figure that somewhere there must be a setting or a preference that I am overlooking ...
I think these two items have to be set (this is a guess).
  • Preferences - Behavior - Preferred output format = ePub
  • Use Send to device to transfer the ePub to the SD card, I think the Device interface plugin may have something to do with Sony Periodicals.
Quote:
Release: 0.7.25 [29 Oct, 2010]
New Features
  • Add support for the SONY periodical format. This means that news downloaded by calibre and sent to a newer SONY device (350/650/900) should appear in the Periodicals section and have the special periodicals navigation user interface
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Hi Walt,

I do have "Preferences - Behavior - Preferred output format = ePub". That doesn't seem to be the decisive factor ...

And the output is the same whether I use "Send to device" or "Save to Disk".

Quote:
Release: 0.7.25 [29 Oct, 2010]
New Features
Add support for the SONY periodical format. This means that news downloaded by calibre and sent to a newer SONY device (350/650/900) should appear in the Periodicals section and have the special periodicals navigation user interface
Good catch! That's exactly what I'm trying to activate on both notebooks.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good catch! That's exactly what I'm trying to activate on both notebooks.
Make sure under preferences - common options - page setup the output profile is the same for both machines.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
emai7s2
Connoisseur

Talking

Hi Walt,

Quote:
Make sure under preferences - common options - page setup the output profile is the same for both machines.
Bingo! That was it. I selected "Sony 900" as the output file on the 2nd notebook, and it now works like a charm.

Thanks so much for your help - I greatly appreciate it!

Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help - I greatly appreciate it!
You're Welcome.