Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
Piper, H. Beam: Murder In The Gunroom. v1. 19 Feb 2011

Piper is chiefly know for his Science Fiction works, but this is a very straightforward whodunnit, published in 1953 and set perhaps a couple of years before.

There are other versions in this Forum, but none in this format. Moreover:
The book, as retrieved from Proyect Gutemberg, had ‘blurb’ (which stands) but no illustrations.
The ones I have added reflect my own search to clarify references in the text to:
(a) guns
(b) other material, familiar for the period / place, but not to me.
I have also added an Appendix, with animations answering my curiosity about the differences between the kinds of antique guns cited in the work: it is entirely immaterial to the plot.
The References include links to further information and origin of the material.
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm looking forward to checking out your appendices. I had to do some research, the first time I read it, to find out what a snaphaunce was, and why a Whitneyville Walker mattered, and so on.

Murder In the Gunroom is an excellent book. It's a bit heavy-handed in spots, especially about GS, but it is early Piper, after all. You can see the genesis of his other stories, in other fields, in there. I really wish Piper had made a series out of it ... today, he probably could. I've read far worse from bookstore shelves.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
You're welcome.
Criticism / comments appreciated.
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Apparently he actually did write two sequels to this, but he couldn't get them published...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And there are probably no more boxes marked "pens"; it's a bit of luck that even one manuscript survived. Though I would have rather seen more Jeff Rand books than a Fuzzy sequel.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote