Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
ePub to Mobi or the other way around

I have both a Kindle 3 and Nook in my household. Because of this, I have the option to buy from either site and then transfer.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of removing DRM from eBooks; that's not what I need to ask.

What I want to know is, is it better to covert a ePub to a mobi, or a mobi to an ePub?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is better to go ePub to Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is better to go ePub to Mobi.
Thanks for the reply.

What are the technical reasons for this, if you don't mind me asking.

Andy
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Epub is the open, published standard for ebook formatting, most publishers author in epub, then convert their epubs to mobi. With epub you're more likely to get something closer to the original publisher's intent, and you have control over the conversion to mobi from epub.

The mobi spec is an older spec based on html 3.2 with proprietary, unpublished extensions, epub is based on current standards. If you start with epub you have more options to control/tweak the conversion to mobi, but if you start with mobi some formatting information would have already been lost in many cases.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree with JSWolf that ePub is the better format to archive (and therefore to buy). However, many publishers still target the least capable format (MOBI), and so there may be little difference between MOBI and ePub in any given ebook. So I would not hesitate to buy from Amazon if the Kindle version is significantly cheaper, and sometimes only Amazon has a particular ebook.

At one time I avoided TOPAZ, but now I buy this if it is the only option. Conversion from TOPAZ to ePub is not perfect, but often good enough.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote