Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
obrian93
obrian93 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
RSS for file downloads?

I've been lurking in the shadows since I bought the prs500 a million years ago! Thanks for the priceless education so far.

Anyway, I'm looking seriously at the PB902 as a means of reducing the mountain of paper I use at work for PDF manuals and endless DOC memos.

Out of curiosity, does the RSS reader allow linking to files for download into the reader? Sharepoint, for example, can publish feeds to document libraries on the LAN. If that would be a viable method for access, I think I'll order one today.

Between the dearth of supported formats and the ability to add fonts, this could be the work version of what my beloved 505 is for weekend reading. Also, sorry if this has been covered already.
obrian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
I'm very certain that you will be very satisfied with the 902/903 if the tasks you've mentioned above are the main focus of your work.
In the latest version of the RSS reader (firmware 2.0.4 from January) you will get to each article in the feed a clickable link. Once you click that link the webbrowser (called midori) will open that link and you can easily download files from that webbrowser to your reader. So although I haven't explicitly tested this functionality I'm 99.9% sure that it'll work.

Of course I assume that the link to the document in your LAN is done properly with http (or probably ftp) and not samba. Samba (the windows file sharing service) most certainly won't work.

The good news is that no matter if it'll work or not with RSS downloads, a very similar topic has been discussed just a few days ago over at the german forum. And since the interest in this was high I've written a small script to comfortably download first one file from a known place which contains all the links to the files you want to download. And in the second stage all links from that file will be downloaded. If you have a lot of files this is probably more useful then clicking each file in the RSS feed.

Are those files served from a samba share or are they on http or ftp? I think this is the crucial question you have to look into. If it is anything else than samba, I think you can go and get the new pocketbook. If you want to use my app webdown to use for your setup, I'm certainly willing to assist you configuring it for your needs.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
obrian93
obrian93 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I know that caps lock is synonymous with shouting, if only there was a format that equated to giggling like a schoolgirl.

This is fantastic news! Thank you so much, review.

We're a Windows shop, so SMB abounds, but I happen to be the admin, so there are plenty of options. I just tested our Sharepoint server and it does allow for RSS enclosures that are delivered via http. From there I can link out to just about anything on the LAN.

This is going to be fun. Thanks again!
obrian93 is offline   Reply With Quote