Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
The reason why I don't care that I'm locked into the Kindle store when it comes to BUYING books is because I like what the Amazon store has to offer, and the prices that it offers at. Before I got a Kindle, I was already an Amazon customer for everything from books to tea to purses. When I was looking to get an eReader, I already had Amazon on my mind since I already bought almost all of my books from them. I don't know if you've noticed, but when it comes to paperback, you can't beat Amazon in the US. Unless you can find the book used, of course.

I also, though, did a lot of comparing. I made a list in Excel of all the books I was currently thinking of buying at some point in the future. I put the eBook price for every book for three different stores, and Amazon won. For the books I wanted, they had the most of them in eformat and at the lowest price. So... I don't need another store. That's why I don't want one, and that's why it doesn't matter to me. I'm sure there are a lot of other customers who think the same way I do, and that's probably why Amazon is selling ebooks and Kindles so well.
We shall not stand for such happy-customer talk around here. Please report to Room 27 for re-education.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LOL . Thanks, Paul - that's brilliant!

problem being that its a shortened expression. its "Like(as if) I could care less" implying that you can't. however its shortened to "i could care less" which causes the confusion.

hold down the fort is certainly correct as well if you know the origination.

the video was brilliant
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
hold down the fort is certainly correct as well if you know the origination.
Furthermore, the phrase and its variations came into popular use as a result of an American Civil War telegram. Thanks for lecturing us on our own colloquialism, genius. (Actually I really like that fellow.)
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Why bring up a question that already has at least 5 other threads already dedicated to it... not cool!
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
We shall not stand for such happy-customer talk around here. Please report to Room 27 for re-education.
Eeek! My parents always told me not to take candy from strangers and not to go to room 27s!
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Actually, the phrase "I could care less" meaning "I couldn't care less" is common usage in my neck of the woods. It might not be proper English but it's a common figure of speech.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Actually, the phrase "I could care less" meaning "I couldn't care less" is common usage in my neck of the woods. It might not be proper English but it's a common figure of speech.
"I could care less" is no less proper than "I couldn't care less" and is about as old. Both mean "I don't care."

Linguists use the term "etymological fallacy" to describe the mistaken belief that the "true" meaning of a word or expression can be determined by examining its roots. This is simply not true. Something "awful" doesn't fill you with awe; nor does "silly" mean "blessed" anymore. And of course "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing.

Logic only has a limited applicability to language anyway. Double negatives are not proper in English anymore, but not negating a negative makes it a positive (i.e., because "I don't need nothing" logically means "I need something.") Double negatives were completely cromulent in Shakespeare's time, for example, and are common in other languages as well. Formal logic like this just plays no real role in language usage - early modern English speakers (or present-day Russian speakers) are no less logical than we are.
The prohibition against double negatives in modern english is simply an arbitrary rule, like most language rules (I mean, why add an -s or -es to 3d person singular verbs anyway...)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Andrew,

Greatly though I admire anyone who can use the word "cromulent" in a post, I really can't agree. The apparent contradiction in "flammable" and "inflammable" only exists to someone who is unaware of the etymology of the two words. Saying "I could care less" when you actually mean "I couldn't care less" is simply wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually feel that "cromulent," like "chortle" before it, is well on its way to becoming a real word.

Not sure about incromulent, though.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"chortle" is most certainly a real word; in British English, at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 AM   #26
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"chortle" is most certainly a real word; in British English, at least.
In American, too - but it was invented by Lewis Carroll.