Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Kindle web browser open links in same window

The one thing that I hate about the kindle web browser is that it doesn't allow you to click any link that opens a new window (it won't automatically open the link in the same window, but just errors). I don't see any complaints about this, but I know I'm not the only one who goes to sites with new windows! Is there any hacks that allows it to open links in the same window and not just error? If not, I'm thinking of making one. My idea is a proxy that sits in the background and remove all cases of 'target="_blank"' in pages. Any better idea?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Please use skweezer.com to simplify the website.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
Please use skweezer.com to simplify the website.
That's a great site, but it doesn't solve my problem. I want to load pages with new windows, not make them look simpler.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Pages supposed to appear in new windows will now display in its parent window. It will solve your problem.
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
Pages supposed to appear in new windows will now display in its parent window. It will solve your problem.
Well, 1) the page looks ugly now, and 2) login forms doesn't work.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
andrew121
andrew121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G+WiFi
I'd like a good solution for this too... for example, links on twitter.com refuse to open on the Kindle because of this problem.
andrew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
neftaly
neftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with others

Device: none
Last month I wrote an update for readability that also fixed popup links. I've been working on better solutions between several other projects, but don't hold your breath
neftaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
Last month I wrote an update for readability that also fixed popup links. I've been working on better solutions between several other projects, but don't hold your breath
Wait so your "readabilitymod" fixes the problem of: "Web Browser could not open this link because opening multiple windows is not supported". ??

Is this only for Article Mode but not Regular Web Viewing Mode? What firmware/Kindle's does this patch impact?

And have you tested whether or not this fixes the Twitter opening link problem?

Thank You
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

So I finally got it working. But the solution is REALLY bloated. I'm running an ARM version of Privoxy in the background, which sits and filters out popups and makes them run in the same window. I don't have time to do a big writeup right now, but basically.

1. Cross-compile privoxy and set it up
2. Add the rules (to global.actions): "{+filter{all-popups}}"
3. In the config, make it forward all requests to amazon (fints-g7g.amazon.com:80)
4. In /opt/amazon/config/ServerConfig.conf, make the kindle use localhost:8118 as the proxy instead of fints-g7g.amazon.com.

It works, but I have no idea how it impacts battery life and/or performance. (Privoxy is designed to be small, so it shouldn't be that bad). Also, you get to block ads as an added bonus.

Last edited by yifanlu; 12-15-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
So I finally got it working. But the solution is REALLY bloated. I'm running an ARM version of Privoxy in the background, which sits and filters out popups and makes them run in the same window. I don't have time to do a big writeup right now, but basically.

3. In the config, make it forward all requests to amazon (fints-g7g.amazon.com:80)
4. In /opt/amazon/config/ServerConfig.conf, make the kindle use localhost:8118 as the proxy instead of fints-g7g.amazon.com.

It works, but I have no idea how it impacts battery life and/or performance. (Privoxy is designed to be small, so it shouldn't be that bad). Also, you get to block ads as an added bonus.
Would LOVE if this could be compiled into a "bin" file with an installer and an uninstaller
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #11
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
Would LOVE if this could be compiled into a "bin" file with an installer and an uninstaller
I realized that this doesn't work with HTTPS sites because it's impossible to modify https data, but it works great with plain http sites. However, I still think a patch to the browser would be a better fix as this is pretty complicated. Aka, it is possible to make this into a package, but I don't have the time to write it right now. Maybe someone else can, or I'll find time later.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
rbrohman
rbrohman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I too am looking for the ability to force all links to open in the current window. It seems like the next best thing to getting support for multiple tabs. Has anyone made further progress on this?
rbrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #13
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post

I have privoxy running on the kindle (works fine with lynx) but I cannot figure out how to modify ServerConfig.conf. I assume the fints proxy is for 3G only and is ignored for WiFi. How to specify the proxy so that it works with WiFi? And what exactly to change for 3G? I'm on 3.1.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopangzi View Post
I have privoxy running on the kindle (works fine with lynx) but I cannot figure out how to modify ServerConfig.conf. I assume the fints proxy is for 3G only and is ignored for WiFi. How to specify the proxy so that it works with WiFi? And what exactly to change for 3G? I'm on 3.1.
If that is true, then I'm afraid the only thing you can do is recompile the kernel with NAT iptables support.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
There is a working solution that fixes links without the need for any proxy, but it needs httpd running instead. I guess it could be customised and could then work without httpd - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=101705&page=2
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote