Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
How To Move Files From the MS Reader To BD or Libprs500?

I purchased an MS Reader formatted book from a site. I had to download the MS Reader program to my laptop. The book can now be seen in MS Reader on my laptop. How do I move it to convert it to either BookDesigner or Libprs500 so I can download it to my PRS505?
I've only had my PRS505 for 1 day, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Google ConvertLIT

I can't give you instructions because it would be against forum policy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Use lit2lrf, which I think includes the needed ConvertLIT step.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It does, if you've already run ConvertLIT at least once.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Won't work. You need to get the FULL ConvertLIT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
After that you can use either lit2lrf or BD to make a book.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Won't work. You need to get the FULL ConvertLIT.
I can't find the full ConvertLit, or can I figure out how to use it. I've spent hours on it and still have not figured it out. I'm technically challenged!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Google ConvertLIT GUI

I suggest trying it on a LIT file without DRM first, e.g. from Baen Free Library. I have instructions for converting a DRM-free LIT to MOBI in Baen format upgrade in the works. You don't want MOBI, but this might help if you want to use BookDesigner. Or just try lit2lrf on a DRM-free LIT once you have ConvertLIT installed.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Google ConvertLIT GUI

I suggest trying it on a LIT file without DRM first, e.g. from Baen Free Library. I have instructions for converting a DRM-free LIT to MOBI in Baen format upgrade in the works. You don't want MOBI, but this might help if you want to use BookDesigner. Or just try lit2lrf on a DRM-free LIT once you have ConvertLIT installed.
Thank you! It finally worked. I feel so stupid that it took this long!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
Lilly
Guru

Is there a way to keep the chapter links from the Content page?

When I use ConvertLit and then BD to create a book from Microsoft Reader; I lose the chapter links. Basically you can't go to the Content page and select a chapter and the link takes you there. Beside that little issue, the book looks fantastic. The margin and font size are both outstanding.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just use ConvertLIT & then use libprs500 (which has lit2lrf) to convert the LIT to LRF. Skip BD all together. That's usually how I do my stuff & it generally comes out great.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I second the suggestion to use libprs500. It does a great job with conversion, and I like using it as library software better than the program that comes packaged with the Reader.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just use ConvertLIT & then use libprs500 (which has lit2lrf) to convert the LIT to LRF. Skip BD all together. That's usually how I do my stuff & it generally comes out great.
I'll try it when I get home. I'm at work at the moment, so I have to wait for this evening.

Does libprs500 capture the cover and title of the book automatically like BD?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I'll try it when I get home. I'm at work at the moment, so I have to wait for this evening.

Does libprs500 capture the cover and title of the book automatically like BD?
Not automatically, but if you sign up and get a free key at isbndb.com, you can fetch the cover and other information in libprs500 for each book.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually libprs500 does read metadata and cover from the lit file. (Assuming the LIT file supplies a cover in the first place).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote