Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #121
abenderx
abenderx began at the beginning.

Device: Moto Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteepatootee View Post
OK I have my new android phone less than 24 hrs and I am becoming desperate. I MUST have an ebook program that auto scrolls like Mobipocket. It scrolls line by line and not page by page. I am at this point not even CARING what format, I will change my 1000's of books to what ever program will scroll this way! HELP! If I can't find one I will be selling this for a Windows phone. It is my number ONE priority!
Thanks
Alyce
iReader does it - I turned it on accidentally and was pissed until I found the hotspot on the screen lol. It's a smooth-type scroller and it's free so give it a try. Oh - it reads PRC files too although I have had some weird character translation issues and have had better luck using Calibre to convert trouble books into PDB.
abenderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #122
abenderx
abenderx began at the beginning.

Device: Moto Droid
Quote:
OK I have my new android phone less than 24 hrs and I am becoming desperate. I MUST have an ebook program that auto scrolls like Mobipocket. It scrolls line by line and not page by page. I am at this point not even CARING what format, I will change my 1000's of books to what ever program will scroll this way! HELP! If I can't find one I will be selling this for a Windows phone. It is my number ONE priority!
Thanks
Alyce
Something else of note: I do not think that the new Windows Phone is backwards-compatible with old WinMobile software at all. There's no MobiPocket at all and no third-party app dev yet to flesh out any choices there. You'd be in worse shape for ebook reading with the new Windows phone from the beta versions I've played with (friend on the dev team for that OS...)
Hope this helps! Stick with Android - it rocks, you just have to find the right reader. I like iReader and from what I've seen Moon+ looks pretty cool as well. STILL no italics and/or boldface fonts in either tho :-(
abenderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #123
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I don't know if there is or not, but the main issue with any android device is storage space and responsiveness and dictionary/dictionary lookup is not conducive to either
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #124
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Thanks, great resource!

I like FBReader myself.
Works great for me too.

Great list, but like most things these days way too many choices.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #125
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Storage space? So long as there's an SD or micro-SD slot, and there usually is, that shouldn't be a concern. I wouldn't recommend a device with non-expandable or non-upgradable storage, however.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #126
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Storage space? So long as there's an SD or micro-SD slot, and there usually is, that shouldn't be a concern. I wouldn't recommend a device with non-expandable or non-upgradable storage, however.
Yes. Storage space. as you say .... "so long as there is...." which is not always the case. The app has to be written to work everywhere if it is to be effective...
Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #127
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Thanks
Alyce
Wattpad used to scroll line by line in iPhone. Since it's ported to Android, I guess it has the same feature.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #128
Muttz
Gadget Junkie
Muttz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Witstech A81E, iPhone
Is there a reader app similar to MobiPocket for PC?

My friend just got her Archos 101 today and I'm helping her to set it up. She has been reading her books on MobiPocket Reader on her netbook. She's quite disappointed that there isn't a MobiPocket app for Android. Does anyone know of an Android app that is similar?
The feature that she would really like to have is a two-page layout in landscape mode.

Thanks!

Last edited by Muttz; 12-05-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #129
nor11wan
nor11wan began at the beginning.

Device: none
ALDIKO-How to read e-books from SD Card

Hi there,need some help,just received a 8" Tablet O/S Android 2.2
there is a pre-installed e-reader "ALDIKO" but been struggling with the set and
have no clue as how the use the reader.(have no Android experience at all)
have downloaded E-books to SD card and slot into Set,but when I
opened Aldiko,it showed an image of 2 books (also pre-installed) and a line
suggesting connection for on-line purchase.I only need to find out HOW TO
READ E-books from my SD Card On the page apart fro the 2 books and the line
there are no address bar anywhere!!
Your suggestions please
thanks
nor11wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #130
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
A little birdy just told me that Moon+ Reader will soon have an integrated dictionary and a note-taking feature. It's looking like we have a possible successor to Mobipocket. Now, if I could only get him to remove all progress bars and progression indicators, I'd be a very happy man.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #131
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor11wan View Post
Hi there,need some help,just received a 8" Tablet O/S Android 2.2
there is a pre-installed e-reader "ALDIKO" but been struggling with the set and
have no clue as how the use the reader.(have no Android experience at all)
have downloaded E-books to SD card and slot into Set,but when I
opened Aldiko,it showed an image of 2 books (also pre-installed) and a line
suggesting connection for on-line purchase.I only need to find out HOW TO
READ E-books from my SD Card On the page apart fro the 2 books and the line
there are no address bar anywhere!!
Your suggestions please
thanks
you have to put the book into ebooks\import
and then press import books in aldiko
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #132
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Cool Reader official

Cool Reader has officially been released in the market
Support epub, fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr formats

Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #133
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
Aldiko 2 is apparently going to be out before Christmas. They are promising DRM support as well as Google books support.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 AM   #134
nor11wan
nor11wan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there Dopedangel,tried to name folder as suggested but my PC does not permit
naming folder with these marking: / ! ? * < etc is there any other way I can do the
naming ?
thanks
nor11wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #135
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
ebooks\import refers to a directory on the SD card not a file name. Find the directory called eBooks and in it you will find a directory called import.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one