Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
Lex Lucid
Lex Lucid began at the beginning.

Device: Mobipocket on x50v
Hello from Porkopolis

Greetings! I'm a long-time eBook reader from Cincinnati. I've read dozens of novels on my PDA (x50v), but I really want a proper e-ink reader. I'm working on getting a Sony Reader or maybe even a Kindle in the near future. The Kindle really has some killer apps for me (NYT subscriptions and $10 bestsellers, for example) but I'm not crazy about the closed nature of the system and the excessive DRM.
Lex Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum. Agree with you about the Kindle. I'd go with the 505 were I buying today. Consider the Cybook as well, though.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
Lex Lucid

I'm leaning towards the 505 for $200 or so, either through the credit card deal or by getting a used system.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sony had a deal on the 500 this past summer in which you got $150 worth of books. One hundred dollars was good for Classics and $50 could go towards best sellers etc.

I was going to get the 500 had my wife given me a MicroCenter gift certificate for my birthday which is in June but, as it turned out, I got some new shirts.

I'll probably let the Christmas madness pass then make a decision in the New Year.

Let us know what you end up doing.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Lex Lucid

I remember that deal, I was tempted but was actually unemployed at that point. I keep hoping that pressure from the Kindle will trigger a price cut or other incentive on the 505 shortly. I do have a vacation coming up in a couple of weeks though so I probably won't be able to convince myself to wait too long.