Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #31
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Then let us show it to them!
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #32
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
ARGL. I just hope they fail like noone failed before.
Well, it would be quite difficult to fail more spectacularly than Sony failed with their Librie.

Do you remember Librie? The very first e-paper featuring reader. You could only read the content you purchased from Sony.
You could not read any other ebook on Librie.
You could not read Librie ebook in any other device.
Customers in Japan are more used to this kind of treatment than Americans, and yet Librie failed miserably even in Japan.

The Librie got hacked eventually, even if there were much fewer users that wanted or needed it hacked.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Even Sony - king of DRM and senseless copyright-technologie that violates existing laws - had a more user-friendly DRM
Aehm ...
Do you remember Librie?
The king of proprietary, non-compatible solutions - Sony had to get burned by Librie before they made a more user friendly DRM system.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #34
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Yesyesyes, I meant the Reader, not the Librie. I deliberately "forgot" the Librie in my rant.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #35
amoore
amoore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
ARGL, I didn't even want to post that comment ... in fact I wanted to click "Go Advanced" because I wanted to rewrite it, suspend my notebook and have a look after walking my dog. Ah, whatever.

What I meant is: There are some really great ideas in the kindle. I *love* the idea of having WiFi-Access and directly downloading the books - so not being able to load them to my notebook and read them there kinda makes a stupid out of a brilliant idea. I guess I will nearly always have a reader where I have my notebook. But I just want to be able to use *both*.
I mean: if you life in the US and don't have access to Whispernet - how do you get your kindle books? And don't tell me that every little city and every little farm with some kind of internet-access will have a Whispernet-Access...
Newspaper directly to the eReader: WHOA! I preach "this will be the future of newspapers" to everyone not retreating fast enough for the last years - and they implement it! I love it! I mean: Perfect! And then - download only via Whispernet. Why?
Cheaper eBooks than nowadays and reading the first chapter for free? Perfect! But again: Kindle-Fileformat.
It is true not every little city or farm has access to Whispernet however what I've noticed that has been over looked is that you can download the AZW file to your computer and connect the kindle via USB and transfer the file manually. Amazon is only promoting Whispernet for convenience to the customers. You make purchase from the Kindle it's self and with in moment you have your book. Dont even need to touch the computer.
amoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoore View Post
It is true not every little city or farm has access to Whispernet however what I've noticed that has been over looked is that you can download the AZW file to your computer and connect the kindle via USB and transfer the file manually.
Er, no you can't - RTFM . When you buy a book from the Kindle store your ONLY option is to transfer it via EVDO to the Kindle; there's no option to download it to your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most people won't care what format the Kindle supports. They just click, download, and read. It's that simple. They won' care about DRM. They won't care about the things we here care about. It will just work. They will get expensive hard cover books on their Kindle for about $10. They will save a bunch of money that way and eventually the Kindle will pay for itself. They won't care that the Kindle is a closed system. It will work for them and work well. I think it will succeed. And what this may do is get the NYTimes to maybe have an ebook bestseller list. It is good for ebooks in general, but not good for the competition. NAEB is in deep shit now (IMHO). They don't have the Gen3 for sale yet and already they are in trouble. Sony may very well be in trouble. Basically, I think the Kindle will take over the ebook market and if Amazon releases it in other countries, it will win there too.

Amazon has made content trivial to get and read. They have made it inexpensive as well for the content. The game is over and Amazon has won.
Although I don't like the reader itself, I could not agree more.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #38
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Er, no you can't - RTFM . When you buy a book from the Kindle store your ONLY option is to transfer it via EVDO to the Kindle; there's no option to download it to your PC.
After you purchase a book (newspaper subscriptions seem to be different) you can go to "Your Media Library" on Amazon and download the book directly to your computer.

I also signed up for a newspaper subscription (first 14 days are free) and it *does not* show up in "Your Media Library". So I can't download it to my PC. Maybe it will after the 14 day free trial is over, maybe it won't. I do not know if magazine and blog subscriptions are treated the same.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #39
amoore
amoore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
After you purchase a book (newspaper subscriptions seem to be different) you can go to "Your Media Library" on Amazon and download the book directly to your computer.

I also signed up for a newspaper subscription (first 14 days are free) and it *does not* show up in "Your Media Library". So I can't download it to my PC. Maybe it will after the 14 day free trial is over, maybe it won't. I do not know if magazine and blog subscriptions are treated the same.
I believe you can actually go to the manage your kindle page and change the subscription to go to Your media Library. Let me check on this and I'll post what i find out.
amoore is offline   Reply With Quote