Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Burroughs, Edgar Rice: Barsoom Omnibus. v4, 12 Apr 2012

A bit of light-hearted relief from the serious stuff, here's Edgar Rice Burroughs' complete "Barsoom" series, in one (very long!) book:

1. A Princess of Mars
2. The Gods of Mars
3. The Warlord of Mars
4. Thuvia, Maid of Mars
5. The Chessmen of Mars
6. The Master Mind of Mars
7. A Fighting Man of Mars
8. Swords of Mars
9. Synthetic Men of Mars
10. Llana of Gathol
11. John Carter of Mars

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with it, the "Barsoom" series is the architypal "boys' own adventure" type stories, set on (a fantasic) planet Mars, with muscle-bound heroes, princesses to be rescued from fates worse than death, wierd monsters, etc etc. It's true to say that "Star Wars" would never have existed without "Barsoom".

I've done this along the same lines as my previous "Complete Sherlock Holmes" book; there's a book index at the start, and selecting a book takes you to a contents page for that book.

I naively thought this would be quick to produce, but I've just finished it after a 12h "marathon". Many of the PG sources (especially for the later books in the series) are extremely poorly formatted, and needed a great deal of work to make them look reasonable.

Enjoy!

EDIT: 8 Jan 08

Completely recreated the book with improved formatting. Now a proper MobiPocket book with full-sized pictures, library information, etc. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 29 Jul 09

Replaced books 2-4 in the series with improved versions from PG. Added an improved cover. Changed the name from "Barsoom Collection" to "Barsoom Omnibus" to be consistent with my other omnibus editions. Uploaded v3.

EDIT: 12 Apr 12

Completely reformatted and thoroughly proofed against printed versions of all 11 of the books that comprise the omnibus. Goodness knows how many thousand errors corrected, and a considerable amount of text added which was previously missing. I would now regard this as a finished product; if you find any errors, no matter how small, please let me know so that they can be corrected. Uploaded v4.

Previous download count: 1312
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Barsoom Omnibus.mobi (3.39 MB, 1243 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 04-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
tanks
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You've got this already, UncleDuke. Now I've gone over to the "dark side" and bought an iLiad, these are just conversions of the older Sony books for Mobipocket .
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Thanks for the mobi version of this Harry. Now that I have a Kindle, I am doubly appreciative of your efforts in the book creation biz...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Brilliant - I've not read this series before, many thanks

(On my Palm TX the link to the first book takes me to "XII Warrior's Reward" - but all the other links seem ok.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I want to re-do this book (it was one of my early ones and I've learned a lot since doing it) but it may take a while for it to reach the top of the pile. Please forgive any inadequacies in it in the mean time.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Not a problem Harry, I am reading it now, and it looks great. Um, any chance of your Tarzan books coming to the mobipocket side?
Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'll do a "quick and dirty" Mobi version for you over the weekend. Again, these really need to be re-done a lot better.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
tsgreer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'll do a "quick and dirty" Mobi version for you over the weekend. Again, these really need to be re-done a lot better.
Excellent! Thank you for your hard work...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Brilliant - I've not read this series before, many thanks

(On my Palm TX the link to the first book takes me to "XII Warrior's Reward" - but all the other links seem ok.)
I grabbed the Mobi Barsoom anthology and saw the same problem on my Zodiac.

Harry, a fix for the bad link in the first book would be a boon, if and when.

And have you considered an anthology version of the SS Van Dine "Philo Vance" mysteries, now that you have the complete set?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Completely recreated the book with improved formatting. Now a proper MobiPocket book with full-sized pictures, library information, etc. Uploaded v2.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Er, nicely done indeed, but it shows in Mobi's library list here as "David Copperfield" with the author as "Charles Dickens"...
______
Dennis
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fixed. Copied the "David Copperfield" opf file and forgot to click the "Update" button after updating the metadata. Mobi Creator is a little "unfriendly" in that regard.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Fixed. Copied the "David Copperfield" opf file and forgot to click the "Update" button after updating the metadata.
Thanks. I thought something like that was the case.

Quote:
Mobi Creator is a little "unfriendly" in that regard.
I've noticed Mobi's unfriendliness. You would think you could make changes to individual sections, then do one Update to save it all, but it doesn't work that way.
______
Dennis
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #15
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm hoping to get a kindle in the next month or two, and these are among the first books I want to put on it. I was really happy to see that they're available, thanks!
deety is offline   Reply With Quote