Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
sun_yang
sun_yang began at the beginning.

Device: k2
about the sim in kindle

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60006

i have read this
and i have open my k2i
i find the sim card in my k2i
but it doesn't work in my mobile phone although find the worknet
i think it needs a proxy not just an apn
so i think k2i setting the proxy in its source code
if someone can find the proxy setting we can use the k2i's sim card in other device

for example
AT&T's setting
Description: AT&T WAP
Apn:wap.cingular
Proxy :wireless.cingular.com
Port:80
Type: HTTP
Username: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)

but it doesn't work in my mobile pbone
i think the really setting must in k2i
if we can find we will link to internet for free
Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is an astonishingly selfish thing to try and do.

If people were to do as you suggest, what do you think the outcome would be? I'll tell you: the instant end of free internet access for everybody. Your selfishness could mean an end to free web browsing for every Kindle user. You should be ashamed of yourself for even asking this question.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
+1 to HarryT's message.

I will hack my kindle to my hearts content but only for MY pleasure. I read free ebooks and will purchase dutch ebooks when ever there is something I like.

But I draw the line at abusing Amazon's/Vodaphone's network
Old 10-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What HarryT said. Don't do this.

As I doubt you'll listen, here are technical reasons why you shouldn't do this. You end up connected to the Amazon Whispernet network. You don't have unrestricted access to the internet and you obviously can't make or receive calls. Only web access is allowed and it has to go via Amazon web proxy servers. Some countries don't have unrestricted web access via 3G and are restricted to the Kindle store and Wikipedia. If Amazon notice you doing this which is very likely since your usage pattern won't be anything like a normal Kindle then they're going to ban you and your Kindle as this violates the Kindle terms of service.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Also I'm very sure Amazon monitors the useage, and a sudden spike of 2GB download would surely cause them to ban your SIM card immediatly.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacina View Post
Also I'm very sure Amazon monitors the useage, and a sudden spike of 2GB download would surely cause them to ban your SIM card immediatly.
Not only he sim..

Misuse of the simcard will result in a ban of the simcard and also in blacklisting the Kindle itself.
Amazon sees the simcard as a part of the kindle, so by misusing one's sim-card one is misusing the kindle and thus violating the terms of use.
Violating these license agreement/terms of use will make a misuser liable and open towards legal claims!

(Just saying..)

EqX
Old 10-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Most likely

Data transfer when roaming is very expensive (as everyone knows)

Due to this, a SIM that downloads a lot can immediatly rack up a cost of several hundred to thousand dollars.

Its for this reason I'm 100% sure that amazon monitors usage and the second one of the SIM cards goes above a certain threshhold without downloading books they'll block it, and send you an e-mail. (or just ban you, depending on how nice they are...)
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #8
Reow
Reow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G
Paranoid

You're all completely paranoid.

Sun is asking a legit question, and instead of answering (most likely because you don't know what the answer is) all you can do is attack him for being curious.

I feel books are a waste of time and never had any intention of using my Kindle as an eReader when I bought it - it was always intended as an ultra-cheap tablet. I have many of the same questions related to what is and isn't possible when hacking the Kindle. Posting this hate towards people like Sun is counter productive to the community.

And Amazon won't be getting $k bills for your data use (as they have a global agreement). I live in a backwater country and can get 10G 3G data for $50/mth, so I know Amazon will be getting theirs *much* cheaper than this (considering the volume they would be buying).
Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reow View Post
You're all completely paranoid ... Sun is asking a legit question, and instead of answering (most likely because you don't know what the answer is) all you can do is attack him for being curious. ... . Posting this hate towards people like Sun is counter productive to the community.
I have to say I think you are over-reacting a little.

I didn't take part in this discussion, but I've read all the posts. I can't see any evidence of paranoia or hate.

Sun did indeed ask a legit question. The answers he got argued against what he was proposing. They may or may not be valid answers. I don't have the expertise to judge. What's certain is that they didn't attack the questioner personally in any way.

You are, of course, free to disagree with those answers, but it doesn't help the discussion by making this into a personal issue.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And Amazon won't be getting $k bills for your data use (as they have a global agreement). I live in a backwater country and can get 10G 3G data for $50/mth, so I know Amazon will be getting theirs *much* cheaper than this (considering the volume they would be buying).
You are factually incorrect. Amazon has rolled out world-wide 3G access by using AT&T data roaming, not local agreements in every country. Data roaming is LOTS more expensive than local agreements. That's why 'free' Kindle ebooks cost $2+taxes in most countries.

There are a few non-US countries where Amazon has arranged local agreements. The UK is one now, but wasn't when the Kindle 2i first arrived.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Amazon is not going to discontinue the free 3G access to all customers just because some hackers in China are abusing this free service. And even if they do, it could lead to more transparent data transfer costs that could be beneficial to majority.

The "free" 3G while enjoyed by many, has undesirable externalities. One is that international users have to pay $2 surcharge per book. Also for publishers the charge is $0.15/MB which is very high and is a deal-breaker for comics publishers.

Personally I encourage such exploits because it will force companies to develop products that people want. I already wrote how "global" companies often are unaware how different other countries are, so we should be thankful that someone is reminding this. If customers want to use Kindle for tethering why not add this feature either through replaceable SIM card or competitive data tariffs.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
You're all completely paranoid.

Sun is asking a legit question, and instead of answering (most likely because you don't know what the answer is) all you can do is attack him for being curious.

I feel books are a waste of time and never had any intention of using my Kindle as an eReader when I bought it - it was always intended as an ultra-cheap tablet. I have many of the same questions related to what is and isn't possible when hacking the Kindle. Posting this hate towards people like Sun is counter productive to the community.

You revived two months old thread about trying to get free internet on the Kindle. I think it's obvious that people on this site are not willing to help with this. The reason why people are so "paranoid" (strong word, not true) is because the internet on the Kindle is purposely marketed by Amazon as a "experimental" feature, and is not explicitly listed in any ad. Therefore Amazon can easily take the internet browsing feature out if tons of people start abusing it. Regarding your question: anything is possible, but some things are better left alone. Also, welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
Amazon is not going to discontinue the free 3G access to all customers just because some hackers in China are abusing this free service. And even if they do, it could lead to more transparent data transfer costs that could be beneficial to majority.

The "free" 3G while enjoyed by many, has undesirable externalities. One is that international users have to pay $2 surcharge per book. Also for publishers the charge is $0.15/MB which is very high and is a deal-breaker for comics publishers.

Personally I encourage such exploits because it will force companies to develop products that people want. I already wrote how "global" companies often are unaware how different other countries are, so we should be thankful that someone is reminding this. If customers want to use Kindle for tethering why not add this feature either through replaceable SIM card or competitive data tariffs.
You're giving companies too much credit. When has a company "changed" positively because of hacks to their system? See: Playstation (removing Linux and suing the hacker). What will happen when someone releases a "internet tethering" package is 1) Hundreds of people will use it. 2) Amazon finds out. 3) Amazon either bans the kindle, or takes the feature out.

Last edited by yifanlu; 03-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
You're giving companies too much credit. When has a company "changed" positively because of hacks to their system? See: Playstation (removing Linux and suing the hacker). What will happen when someone releases a "internet tethering" package is 1) Hundreds of people will use it. 2) Amazon finds out. 3) Amazon either bans the kindle, or takes the feature out.
I wouldn't call it hacking but rather pushing it.

Companies will not change their policy directly but it can potentially lead to change in longer term if they see the opportunity. I already mentioned that in Latvia one cell phone company promised to never sell prepaid SIM cards but changed their policy very quickly when competitors used it.

Amazon is not stupid and they will not discontinue Kindle. They may discontinue Kindle's free 3G however and that will have some negative consequences to some people and some positive consequences to others.

It has already been answered in some other place why it is not possible to use Kindle SIM card for tethering – because it allows access only through Amazon's proxy. It means that Amazon already fully controls their data usage. However, exploring this possibility still has some potential, for example, finding out how to use Kindle for tethering with another SIM card.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
I wouldn't call it hacking but rather pushing it.

Companies will not change their policy directly but it can potentially lead to change in longer term if they see the opportunity. I already mentioned that in Latvia one cell phone company promised to never sell prepaid SIM cards but changed their policy very quickly when competitors used it.

Amazon is not stupid and they will not discontinue Kindle. They may discontinue Kindle's free 3G however and that will have some negative consequences to some people and some positive consequences to others.

It has already been answered in some other place why it is not possible to use Kindle SIM card for tethering – because it allows access only through Amazon's proxy. It means that Amazon already fully controls their data usage. However, exploring this possibility still has some potential, for example, finding out how to use Kindle for tethering with another SIM card.
I meant ban the kindles abusing the 3G, not discontinue kindles. Also, hacking is defined as doing anything the product was not meant to, and internet tethering is considered hacking. Using the Kindle with another sim card is easy. Just put the new card in, and edit the /etc/ppp/chat/connect-1 (or some file like that) and plug in your new APN and connection string.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
karunaji
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I meant ban the kindles abusing the 3G, not discontinue kindles. Also, hacking is defined as doing anything the product was not meant to, and internet tethering is considered hacking.
SIM card is definitely designed to provide data connection to whatever device it is put in, so no hacking there or at least I wouldn't call every data usage outside presumed TOS to be hacking.

Many Kindle owners are not interested in the Kindle store whatsoever and the value from the Kindle device for them is the 3G connection itself. These attempts of tethering are expected, as well as Amazon's attempts to curb this and disconnect those SIM cards. Honest users should not care about it any more than the fact that someone owns Kindle 3G and not using it to buy books from Amazon.
Closed Thread