Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Reading eInk devices in the bath?

Does anyone use their reader in the bath?

It's risky on account of the danger of dropping the device in the water.
But maybe you could put it in a waterproof see-through bag of some kind.

I used to do that with my old Rocket eBook and it seemed happy enough; but would an eInk reader be happy operating like that?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would not risk it. I've done it with paperback books before. But I don't even keep my 505 in the bathroom when I am showering. Yes the bathroom has a fan to suck up the steam, but I don't want to risk it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I suggested it once to my girlfriend when she was about to take a bath; but she is wise enough not to listen to all of my suggestions

Seriously, in general I don't think water and electronics are a good match.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I use a ziplock bag, work fine for me. I didn't try dropping it though
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I saw this discussion about it before.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/blog...060016106.html
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
To test wether a bag/enclosure is water-proof should be easy .. Use CoCl2 (or similar water-detection chemicals) or (rather more simple) a toilet paper to test for water after e.g. getting some air in the bag, closing it, and pushing it under water for some time. And/or put it in a steamed bath for some time - if water is on the inside it is unusable (eaven when using two bags). If no water can be found, it should be okay - don't try scuba with it.

Possible bags perhaps:
* zip-lock bags or other "sealed" bags
* camera-bags e.g. for scuba-diving or snorkling (they are expensive though) (if you can take a picture through it, it should be transparent enough to read through ) - these could even be used to read lying on an inflatable mattress on a pool.
* outdoor-equip for a PDA/Handy/Passport/...
* etc etc etc

Make sure the enclosure is waterproof and you can use the buttons without opening the bag - Murphy tells us, that you *will* drop the device into the water as soon as you open the bag.

If your device is flooded: Turn it off and let it dry completely before even thinking of using it again! If possible: Open the device.

Last edited by tirsales; 11-18-2007 at 11:53 AM.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I saw this discussion about it before.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/blog...060016106.html
Excellent reference, Barcey. I didn't know David of Teleread was the bathtub-kinda guy.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
We sell these for water proof protection. Then you dont have to worry while reading in a tub.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
That looks like I could take it kayaking with me. Does it come with an optional rubber ducky?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
We sell these for water proof protection. Then you dont have to worry while reading in a tub.

Excellent, that looks like just the thing for my Gen3 (when it arrives)!! Many thanks
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Oh Happy Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Not 1 but TWO bits of great news in one day. I had always thought that I would just have to give up reading in the bath or stick to paper but seeing that there is a way to combine my 2 favourite ways of reading is fabulous .

Now if you really want to get mainstream readers to try ebooks, this tip should feature prominently in all the advertising
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I did once, with a very early android tablet from China. When it was all new, though the tablet just works even out of the bath as it was an 1.5 android operating system.

Though I do play a portable dvd player when I am having a bath as many do, but once I did it with 5.1 headphones (not virtual - but true 5.1)!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote