Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Kobo store question

I just noticed this but is the Kobo store in USD currency? I thought this was a Canadian site or did I accidentally switch the currency?? If so, how do I fix this please.

TIA
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Kobo's a globale eReading service, so we support multiple currencies. The site determines first based on IP address where you are, and then serves up a currency (and content) which is appropriate for that region.

If you have a credit card in the system, the site will prefer to determine your region based on the billing address of that credit card, and ignores the IP.

Are you either on a US network somewhere, or have a US credit card in the system?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Kobo's a globale eReading service, so we support multiple currencies. The site determines first based on IP address where you are, and then serves up a currency (and content) which is appropriate for that region.

If you have a credit card in the system, the site will prefer to determine your region based on the billing address of that credit card, and ignores the IP.

Are you either on a US network somewhere, or have a US credit card in the system?

Sameer,
I have a Canadian credit card associated with my account and i thought for sure that my last ebook purchased was CDN currency too.

Can this be fixed?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Fiona; any chance you could supply your IP address in case this is an incorrect mapping of IP to country. If you feel safer, omit the final three digits of the IP address (ie supply it as 192.234.124.xxx).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Fiona; any chance you could supply your IP address in case this is an incorrect mapping of IP to country. If you feel safer, omit the final three digits of the IP address (ie supply it as 192.234.124.xxx).

Its 70.74.221.xxx which when i check correlates with my city and internet provider.....very strange
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep; so far all the tools I have tried do show you as in Canada.

The mystery continues!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Do you (or someone in your family) ever use something like Hot Spot Shield? I have left my VPN proggie on accidentally and had Kobo think I am in the US. It's a good thing when I want to watch episodes of Project Runway on the Lifetime Network in the US, not so great when I want to buy books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
terraskye
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Do you (or someone in your family) ever use something like Hot Spot Shield? I have left my VPN proggie on accidentally and had Kobo think I am in the US. It's a good thing when I want to watch episodes of Project Runway on the Lifetime Network in the US, not so great when I want to buy books.
Nope..not even sure what that is....it did seem to fix itself though so I could get some books tonight thank goodness
Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Kobo's a globale eReading service, so we support multiple currencies. The site determines first based on IP address where you are, and then serves up a currency (and content) which is appropriate for that region. If you have a credit card in the system, the site will prefer to determine your region based on the billing address of that credit card, and ignores the IP.
Yes, this is how it was explained to me when I did my first interview for Teleread with Michael Serbinis. I was asking about purchasing ebooks while on vacation---for example, if I go visit my sister in the US and want to purchase a book while I am there, what will happen? And he said that it will use her IP address unless I log in, in which case my saved information will trump that and I will get the website version I usually see. So I guess if you want to avoid problems, always log in before you shop?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Recently my wife and I took a trip to Britain, and she ran out of reading material for her Kobo while there.

She was able to go to http://www.kobobooks.com, enter her account information and purchase extra books. Of course, we also installed the Kobo client and ADE on the PC we had access to there.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraskye View Post
Sameer,
I have a Canadian credit card associated with my account and i thought for sure that my last ebook purchased was CDN currency too.

Can this be fixed?
Very strange, it should not show you USD then.

As some others have mentioned, if you're logged in and browsing, the IP is ignored so that should not have any affect regardless of whether you are VPN'd in to foreign lands or using hotspot shield etc.

I'll ask the guys on that side of the office if they are experiencing any anomalies.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
This is my experience too: using Hotspot Shield from Toronto to mimic a California address, kobobooks presents me the Canadian catalog and prices.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
SameerH
Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
This is my experience too: using Hotspot Shield from Toronto to mimic a California address, kobobooks presents me the Canadian catalog and prices.
Were you logged in? If so, that's expected.