Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
I went to check out the book at Amazon.
Thanks for that link. If you simply do a search for "The World's Religions by Huston Smith," it leads to a paperback copy and a "Tell the Publisher you'd like to read this on a Kindle" button. What's up with Amazon's search engine? This is the second time I've run into that problem. The first time was when I was looking for another book in the Kindle Store! The Kindle Store led me to a paperback copy and a "Tell the publisher" button. If someone here at MR hadn't provided the link to the Kindle version of that book, I would have thought it non-existent!

I believe I have a paperback copy of Smith's book, but I never got around to reading it. I just bought a copy to read on my Kindle. I also this week bought an ecopy of the Qu'ran (M. A. S. Abdel Haleem of the translation from Oxford University Press). I've read the Penguin edition (translated by N.J. Dawood) a couple of times, but not this one.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-15-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for that link. If you simply do a search for "The World's Religions by Huston Smith," it leads to a paperback copy and a "Tell the Publisher you'd like to read this on a Kindle" button. What's up with Amazon's search engine? ...
Yeah, the first Kindle version I found is "not available in the U.S.". Weird.

Quote:
...I also this week bought an ecopy of the Qu'ran (M. A. S. Abdel Haleem of the translation from Oxford University Press). I've read the Penguin edition (translated by N.J. Dawood) a couple of times, but not this one.
Two monkeys one brain! I'm going to read the Quran too. But comments here and here (I know you're looking at those threads too) have convinced me that I need some background reading first.
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Yeah, the first Kindle version I found is "not available in the U.S.". Weird.

Two monkeys one brain! I'm going to read the Quran too. But comments here and here (I know you're looking at those threads too) have convinced me that I need some background reading first.
The Oxford University Press edition contains extensive notes in the Preface concerning the origins of Qu'ran, the various English translations, and a bit of historical background into the life of Muhammad and the major Islamic traditions. It seems to me to be an excellent place to start.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I think I'd be interested in a biography of Muhammad... any suggestions?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
The Oxford University Press edition contains extensive notes in the Preface concerning the origins of Qu'ran, the various English translations, and a bit of historical background into the life of Muhammad and the major Islamic traditions. It seems to me to be an excellent place to start.
I picked up a copy of this edition and have learned a lot just from this preface. Wouldn't it be nice if everybody made an attempt to understand each other.
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #21
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Is there a version in which Muhammad is not a pedophile?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #22
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I think I'd be interested in a biography of Muhammad... any suggestions?
I haven't actually read it, but there's one written by Karen Armstrong, who is a very well respected Islamist. The only snag is, Karen Armstrong is a Westerner and has sort of a strange, voyeuristic relationship with Islam. I'm sure the book would be informative and helpful; it's just important to know where Armstrong is coming from. Anyway, the book is called Muhammad: A Biography of the Prophet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker
Um, try all of them?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Where did that come from? Cites? Not from the far right wing, preferably.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I refer to the Guidelines of MobileRead, which state:

"7. Political and Religious Topics

Past experience has shown that threads debating religious or political matters are unlikely to be edifying, and often become bad-tempered. Our mission is to support the mobile reading community. There are other sites which focus on contemporary political and religious discussions, so we strongly recommend that you debate these topics elsewhere.

MobileRead reserves the right to edit or delete posts about politics and religion, where these are unrelated to mobile reading."

While not at all precluding this thread in its entirety (acknowledging the OP's intent and reasonable request), I remind you of the Guidelines to avoid it straying into territories likely to incite that which the quoted Guideline is intended to avoid. At the same time, I'd take the opportunity to recall the Guidelines' requirement in regards to on-topicality and politeness:

MobileRead Guidelines

I return you to the OP's original request.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
hi rlparker, with holy books you certainly mean the starting point, the founding corner stone or similar.

I think that to get a broad view of major religious viewpoints one might find more proficient to read someone who has studied the major religions.

I use : The World's Religions by Huston Smith.

Very nice find.....thanks.

Cheers/
Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #26
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post

Originally Posted by Lbooker:

[/I].

Um, try all of them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...riage_to_Aisha

"Aisha was six years old when betrothed to Muhammad.[12][13][14]
She stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine or ten, when the marriage was consummated in Medina. Most of the Islamic sources indicate that she was 9 years old at the time that the Prophet first had sexual intercourse with her [12][13][14][15][16][17] with the single exception of al-Tabari, who records that she was ten.[13] She was therefore married to Muhammad while still a child."
Old 09-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamma...riage_to_Aisha

"Aisha was six years old when betrothed to Muhammad.[12][13][14]
She stayed in her parents' home until the age of nine or ten, when the marriage was consummated in Medina. Most of the Islamic sources indicate that she was 9 years old at the time that the Prophet first had sexual intercourse with her [12][13][14][15][16][17] with the single exception of al-Tabari, who records that she was ten.[13] She was therefore married to Muhammad while still a child."
I refer to my previous Moderator post. Please stick to the OP's original topic.

Marc
Old 09-16-2010, 05:28 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, the Qu'ran never mentions the age of Muhammad's youngest wife, although there are hadiths that tell of his marrying a six year old and consummating the marriage when she was nine. A Muslim who has studied the hadiths would be in a better position than I to tell you what these hadiths actually say.

That having been said, it's not always wise to judge people who lived 14 centuries ago by modern Western norms.

EDIT: Note to Marc: Posted before I read your remarks. The subject is dropped.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-16-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post
My favorite version of the Qur'an is the Muhammad Asad translation: The Message of the Qur'an. I have it in hardback, but it's also available online: http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_...quran_asad.htm.

The hardback version of this translation is beautiful; it's full color with side-by-side transliteration as well as the original Arabic text. Beyond that, Asad provides really helpful, extensive context and commentary for most of the verses. While Asad's interpretation (because that's all any translation is, really) is certainly progressive, I believe it maintains the spirit of the original text quite well.
The HTML version is nice, and it would be no trouble to convert it to ePub, but it would be really great to have a version like the hardcover with the Arabic text, perhaps in an interlinear format. Anyone know of such an ebook?

(I'm looking for a good interlinear Bible, as well, preferably one with oldest known versions of the texts in Hebrew and Greek.... and heck, the Bhagavad Gita, and Buddhavacana, too, while I'm at it....)
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
hayan
hayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughinghayan can shake the floor when laughing

Device: kindle
Smile Re Recommended Quran Version

Salam ( peace be upon you) you best bet is The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)
SBN-10: 0199535957

But if you really want to understand quran in native english I would recommend you try bayyinah.tv . You can youtube Nouman Ali Khan for preview how he explains the Quran. He is the best Quran teacher in the modern era, he explains everything with such ease.
Closed Thread

Tags
quran, translation