Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
chicki
Enthusiast
chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Are you on Scribd?

As authors, we are always looking for new readers. I signed up for Scribd two days ago and have already had 47 readers!

If you decide to join, be sure to include your book cover as page 1 of your first chapter.

Here's to sales!

Chicki
chicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Not on there, but that does look interesting.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Is that place still harboring darknet refuges?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I got quite a few downloads for my first short story and seven tenths of bugger all for the next one so I've kind of given up on it... I probably shouldn't though because it's probably me and not Scribd that's responsible for the dip in downloads.

Are you selling on there or just providing a sample?

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
chicki
Enthusiast
chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

I just posted my first three chapters and have gotten quite a few reads and a couple of downloads. No selling there; just provided the order link to Amazon.

Chicki
chicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Scribd is yet another US-centric outlet, Chick. Publishers (and indie authors) without an 'official' US presence are excluded. This is just one of many, many reasons why my own wee Canada-based house is currently working with a US lawyer to establish a legal (if only 'paper office') US base. Expensive, but worthwhile in the long run when you have a large and growing catalogue of titles. Maybe not for single indie authors outside the US, though -- more trouble and expense than it's worth to them, I'd think. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait..Canada? Neil you make my brain hurt. What happened to france
Old 08-21-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still in France, Jaxx. Under house arrest. The team's scattered around the globe, though, and we decided to go for Canadian registration because my newish technical and admin partner from a year or so ago is based there and it's handy. We tend to work with authors by email and telephone (with only the occasional face-to-face meeting) because they, too, are in spread around. Mainly in the US, Canada, Europe and Australia, but some tucked away in some pretty exotic spots. We're in the throes of US registration (paper office only) and are about to register also in Australia with a staff team -- editorial, admin, tech, promo, and we've even tied up a local printer for distribution Down Under. That's always been a problem because our current print and delivery depots (LSI) are US and UK. Cheers. Neil
Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard

Australia huh..? I've got a writer friend down that way was complaining that there really doesn't seem to be any local publishers indigenous to the county, kinda like kangaroos. She was telling me that just about every place she submits to is in England. But she subs to englands big companies more than indies I think
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
I've been on Scribd for about a month now and have had 100 reads of my book sample. Not sure whether that's a good count or not, but I'm happy with it. Best part for me, though, is that I found a groovy Wordpress widget that lets me show my Scribd-hosted sample on my blog in their reader, which is much spiffier than just throwing it up on the page in HTML.

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks for this tip! I think I may try it.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr

***Australia huh..? I've got a writer friend down that way was complaining that there really doesn't seem to be any local publishers indigenous to the county, kinda like kangaroos***

And she's got a point, Jaxx. Australia has had a raw deal and things appear to have been getting worse rather than better lately. Funny, though, that as far as ebooks are concerned (only this year have the Bruces and Sheilas really been catching on to the concept), they were once ahead of the field.

Back around 2000 when I first thought of turning from a non-commercial developing-authors' website I was running to acual publishing, my first plan was to go ebook-only. When I shopped around, I found that the only house I could find already working on a similar plan was Jacobyte Books in Australia. They'd kicked off back in the nineties with an expert team.

We eventually started to publish -- then UK registered -- in print and ebook, but when Jacobyte tried to do the same thing and support low ebook sales with print editions, they met a brick wall when it came to print, distribution and getting into the high-roller online stores. Eventually they faced closure because of this and apathy Down Under.

To save their excellent titles and authors from almost certain overnight obscurity, my own BeWrite Bools took them over and adopted around forty titles and a stable of around twenty-five authors.

We've remained good buddies over the years and a month or two ago, we got our heads together with the original Jacobyte Editor, technician, admin lady and a new local printer in Adelaide, and we're now in the midst of arranging to put the old Jacobyte team back together and registering them as the Australian end of the (now Canadian) BeWrite Books operation.

But, Oz is still tough on publishers -- and by extension on local authors -- so it's going to be an uphill catch-up struggle.

Give it until about mid-October, Jaxx, and get your friend to drop me a line and I'll make the introducions for her to her new local indie publisher. She might like to try her luck closer to home for a change.

Cheers. Neil
Old 08-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Give it until about mid-October, Jaxx, and get your friend to drop me a line and I'll make the introducions for her to her new local indie publisher. She might like to try her luck closer to home for a change.
Cheers. Neil
Thanks for the note. I gave her the heads up about good things coming to Oz. Why do they call it Oz anyway?

But, back on topic - - Is ScribD still the "exclusive US e-Book distributor" for the likes of JK Rowling? Or have they nipped that in the bud?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Stanford
New e-author
Stanford began at the beginning.

Free excerpt with a link to Amazon or other purchase site sounds like a fine idea. Will definitely try it. Thanks for the tip!
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Why do they call it Oz anyway?
'Cause that's how we pronounce the first syllable of the name of the place, jaxx. North Americans tend to pronounce it as "oss" (and call us "ossies"), and Brits as either "oss" or "orss", but for us the sound is closer to "oz".

Anyway. I'm another one shut out of concerns like Scribd because of geographic restrictions. (G'day Neil! Sorry if this sounds a wee bit self-interested, but I look forward to seeing your Aussie branch up and running! )
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote