Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #31
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Jsut checking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
What a shame it won't let me buy anything for the Kindle I've got pre-ordered. Still, it's nice to see what will be available.
Have you installed Kindle for PC (or for Mac)?

If you have that installed and your Amazon account set up, you should be able to download your purchases to there, providing the bokos you are after are availabe in Kindle format.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #32
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I did that an immediately got an e-mail requesting me to fax a valid ID, driver's license or passport.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #33
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post

Please, save me from feeding the monster!

Oh no, too late!!
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #34
zooby
zooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enoughzooby will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle keyboard, kindle voyage, kindle oasis
can somebody check their order to see if they have a shipping date yet? On my one it says estimated dispatch date 29 SEPTEMBER! I ordered it on the 29th july
zooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Most prices seem to be a simple conversion from $ to £, with an exchange rate of about $1.55:£1. The current rate shown at xe.com is $1.58:£1, so it's not too bad at all.
I've just received an email from the Digital Text Platform bit of Amazon. It seems that although they have autiomatically converted the price for me, it is now possible for me to set the UK price in £ separately.

For books being distributed using the 70% option in the US, the minimum US price is $2.99, and the minimum UK price is £2.25.

For 35% option books, the minimums are $0.99/£0.75

The weird thing at the moment is that they don't specify whether that minimum includes VAT or not. Their royalty calculator seems to think it doesn't include VAT, yet the prices shown on Amazon UK by auto-conversion of the dollar price do include VAT. Strange. I haven't tried changing one of my titles to a GBP price yet, as I think it best to wait for things to settle down a bit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #36
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Looking at the co.uk site ...

I see Girl with Dragon Tattoo £2.68 ($4.26) vs $7.14 .... a significant savings.
Under the Dome £2.88 ($4.58) vs $9.99
Nine Dragons £6.39 ($10.15) vs $14.99

You guys are saving big money

Amazon really is setting the prices.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post
can somebody check their order to see if they have a shipping date yet? On my one it says estimated dispatch date 29 SEPTEMBER! I ordered it on the 29th july
According to CS it's some type of glitch and not the real ship date.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #38
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I just did some maths, looking at 36 books that I bought between May 2009 and June of this year, from Waterstones.

Amazon is substantially cheaper - around £50 less than I paid for the collection I have.

More interestingly, and proof of how utterly stark staring bonkers Waterstones have become, if I were to buy the same collection today that I've amassed over the last fifteen months, it would cost me £30 more than I paid originally. In the face of increased competition from the Amazon juggernaut, Waterstones' prices are higher than they were.

To buy the same collection of books right now, it would be £80 cheaper to go with Amazon than with Waterstones, which is almost the cost of the K3.

(For the fairest comparison, I re-adjusted prices of books bought last year, too, to see if the VAT change made a significant difference; it didn't. Even allowing for that, most things on Waterstones have gone up since I bought them.)
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #39
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm betting non-UK residents are already trying to figure out how to purchase from .co.uk to save money.

Also, I'm wondering who is taking the hit. The publisher's receiving less money or is Amazon? Are the prices teaser rates?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #40
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
I don't think these are 'teaser' prices. They seem comparable to paperback prices.

I've re-installed the kindle app to my iPad, and wondering whether it's worth learning how to strip the drm. Being a bit of a Luddite, I think it's probably a step too far.

Looking far into the future, when my Sony fails (going strong for 2 years I think, and it feels like it has many more left) maybe kindle will be the way to go. Just bite the bullet and accept I'm only renting the books, buying only those that are priced accordingly.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #41
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Am I the only one who couldn't download some of the freebies now available on the UK Kindle store? I don't own a Kindle, but I've purchased a couple of books in the past from the US site for reading on Kindle for Mac. Now when I go to the UK site, it keeps asking me to download Kindle for Mac...which I did, again, and it still doesn't work.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #42
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
Am I the only one who couldn't download some of the freebies now available on the UK Kindle store? I don't own a Kindle, but I've purchased a couple of books in the past from the US site for reading on Kindle for Mac. Now when I go to the UK site, it keeps asking me to download Kindle for Mac...which I did, again, and it still doesn't work.
Don't you have to register your Kindle App on Amazon? You probably have to do it again on the UK site. Or have you done it already?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #43
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've stuffed all the titles I used for my Amazon/Waterstones comparison into WH Smith as well now.

Key figures, for my collection of 36 books, bought May 2009-June 2010, originally costing £205.56 adjusted for the UK VAT change. To buy them all now:

Waterstones: £239.59
WH Smith: £205.61
Kindle store UK: £158.97

In every case, Amazon is cheaper than Waterstones, as is WH Smith. In three cases, Amazon is more expensive than WH Smith, by 9p, 48p and 3p on the titles concerned.
Nigel.
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #44
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Can I buy ebooks from Amazon and format shift for the Sony?
You can - but in most EU countries it is illegal.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #45
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
This has not been my experience, I'm afraid. Text including "<" characters and other computerese can confuse the converters - this happened to me with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" where she's talking online, for example. The latest Dawkins also came out a mess - not sure what was going on there. The bolding and paragraphs were all over the place.

All I'm saying is that one shouldn't underestimate the hassle factor in getting to a readable epub from an Amazon purchase. Now the K3 is so cheap and they have a UK store, I'm signing up to the evil empire
I agree. The biggest problem in the couple of mobibooks I've tried has been masses of nested blockquotes which need to be unravelled to produce a properly compliant epub. I'm not sure if this is an issue with calibre since the nested blockquotes are present in the input html when using the debugging option. Personally, I think the problem really lies with disfunctionalities in the mobi format itself.

Still, if there's no epub reader with the new screen at a comparable price come Christmas I may find myself signing up as well.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote