Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
by the numbers

Is anyone regularly buying books from Fictionwise and managing to get them on the Jetbook Lite without having to use Calibre? Could you give us a step by step on opening the account and doing this, or point to a thread that already details this?

Can the books can be saved on your computer and reloaded later onto the Jetbook Lite, after a firmware update, for example?
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
Is anyone regularly buying books from Fictionwise and managing to get them on the Jetbook Lite without having to use Calibre? Could you give us a step by step on opening the account and doing this, or point to a thread that already details this?

Can the books can be saved on your computer and reloaded later onto the Jetbook Lite, after a firmware update, for example?
Hi

My understanding so far is that you need to buy in one of the multiformats (no drm) or if your running current software ADE epub.

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly with more details.

My JBL is on the way so I'm trying to line up my ducks with this regard to

Good info here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87380

Gary

Last edited by Blusaber; 08-01-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

Does eReader.com count? It was owned by Fictionwise and now is also
part of B&N just like Fictionwise.

I have plenty of ereader DRMed pdb files that I have bought from eReader
(and some from Fictionwise, I think) that I just added to a folder on my
SD card, straight from my PC's download folder. [I have also disinfected
most of them and converted them to epub, just to insure I am not locked
into any internet site's retention policy/ability. And have them in other
theme folders on my SD card.]

I have all the Flinx and Pip series and part of the Harry Dresden series on
the SD card with their DRM intact, in other words not having been thru
any processing, just copied to the SD card. Also a number of political
best sellers. Since I also have processed copies of all those files, I am
keeping these infected files around just for testing purposes.

To answer your question directly; just copy the infected .pdb to your SD
card. The first time you read the file you will have to enter the unlocking
data. After that all the .pdb files that use that same unlocking data will be
readable.

I haven't tried the ADE based epub or pdf DRMed files as I don't really trust
the internet linked ADE process. [I just remove the DRM and be done with
it.]

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-01-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Does eReader.com count? It was owned by Fictionwise and now is also
part of B&N just like Fictionwise.

I have all the Flinx and Pip series.]

Luck;
Ken
I think I've read the first six of those all from fictionwise on my old 1150

Really enjoyed the series.

I also enjoy your view point and how you refere to (drm)

Gary
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
and part of the Harry Dresden series
Jim Butcher is a literary genius and Harry Dresden has to be one of the best characters ever created.

Currently working my way through the Dresden series right now. I was collecting and listening to the audio books until they jumped several from some strange reason. I just re-read the previously listened to group and am working my way through the rest.

Oh, and the new "sorcerers apprentice" movie... *cough* rip-off *cough*.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Ron46
Zealot

Is the "disinfection" process as simple as converting the files to e-pub in calibre?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is the "disinfection" process as simple as converting the files to e-pub in calibre?
Calibre will not work with files that are infected with DRM code, so the
DRM must be excised prior to any conversion.

A short time spent Googling "ebook DRM removal" and how to go from one DRMed
format to one that you could use in calibre, should provide you plenty of
descriptions of the various processes available. It used to be that some
technical understanding was required, but now it is much more user friendly.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-03-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Ron46
Zealot

It must be like the freeware you can get like DVD decrypter that instantly defeats the DRM on DVD movies. There are a lot of very smart people out there, it amazes me.

By the way, I guess ereader.com does count. They seem to have a good selection of books. Thanks for that.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
It must be like the freeware you can get like DVD decrypter that instantly defeats the DRM on DVD movies. There are a lot of very smart people out there, it amazes me.

By the way, I guess ereader.com does count. They seem to have a good selection of books. Thanks for that.
I used to get .pdb ebooks from eReader.com for my PDA, and bought my
first JBL through their promotion that included $50 worth of book credits.
(They also offered $100 in book credits if you bought a Nook through them.)

It would be nice if some islander would also address ebook DRM in the manner
that "AnyDVD" addressed DVD encryption.

Luck;
Ken