Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
Silly question: How to remove gray bezel safely?

Kindle DX:

I can work the bezel partially off, but it seems stuck on something near the power slide switch. I have a nice thin plastic tool, but I can't seem to pop it off without putting too much force on it.

I do NOT want do damage it.

Any ideas?
darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Wouldn't you know it... just after posting that I worked it loose. It seems the bottom latch just under the switch was giving me the trouble.

Still, anyone with advice for next time/other owners?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
This isn't anything I've seen people ask about before. iFixit has a Kindle 2 teardown. Maybe someone on that site can answer your question.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
darron
Enthusiast

Yeah, these forum sites' search feature rarely works well.

Most teardown sites just say "after you remove the gray bezel..." without further info, or link to (as your reference did) to some plastic tool to assist you.

I was hoping for some detail. In my case, I was being held up by the clip on the bottom of the bezel, just under the power switch.

So, here's what I noticed:

There are two large clips along the bottom of the bezel. One is directly below the power slide switch (Kindle held vertically), and the other is the same distance from the side on the other end. These seem to be the main hurdle.

There are also four large hooks and five smaller hooks along the top of the bezel, so the bezel must slide upwards after the clips are freed.

There are side grips on each end which look like they might interfere with sliding. So, be aware of those... but I didn't have a problem with them.

Of course, anyone using this information does so at their own risk.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
smartypnts
smartypnts began at the beginning.

Your post helped... I dropped my new Kindle DX on a marble floor today and after the initial desire to vomit after it bounced a few times and landed face down passed, I picked it up to assess the damage. The device is fine functionally, but I lost a tiny chunk out of the bezel and a portion of the bezel on the edge popped out of alignment.

The only way to fix it (not counting the missing bit that flew into corners unknown) was to pop off the bezel and reattach it.

For someone who has the same problem: I put the Kindle face down on a counter, then put one thumb at the bottom of the gray bezel directly under the sleep switch and my other thumb at the same distance in from the left side. Then I pushed in with my thumbs and up. It slid off easily and I was able to slide it back into place where it was before the Big Drop.

Thanks for your description!
smartypnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by darron View Post
There are two large clips along the bottom of the bezel. One is directly below the power slide switch (Kindle held vertically), and the other is the same distance from the side on the other end. These seem to be the main hurdle.
I'd like to toss in my recommendation to be incredibly careful with the two plastic tabs on the grey cover for anyone else reading this.

Does anyone know where you can buy the grey cover for a K2?
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Dalmane98
Dalmane98 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTToxic View Post
Does anyone know where you can buy the grey cover for a K2?
If you mean the Antenna Cover:

Then try here:

Portatronics

Hope this helps you.
Dalmane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Egads that's pricey.

Thanks for the link though, that's $2 cheaper than the other store I saw it at.
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
haylocki
haylocki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Yikes ! 39$ for a small piece of plastic.

Plus Shipping !!

I wouldn't pay that.

Especially as you can geta kindle wi-fi for $139.

Talk about ripping people off.

Cheers, Ian
haylocki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hack, hardware, kindle dx