Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 AM   #76
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
It's a complex subject. Sometimes we think everybody is like us and since all we want to do is curl up with an ereader, we can't imagine people who want to do harm.

I'm in the Army and sometimes the way people act when they're away from home is very different from when they aren't. I'm also a high school teacher. Again, some people need consequences. The golden rule might work with some. With others, an appeal to moral duty does the trick.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #77
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
I think where armies are undisciplined (no punishment), or respect for the non-combatant or combatant is non-existent many will do what they want.

The worst rapists in a modern army were probably the Russians after the fall of Germany. I'm sure the Germans did some nasty things. The Japanese were pretty horrible.
Have you ever known an army, even through history, which made a difference between combatant and non-combatant ? Egyptians wiped out entire tribes, so did the greek, persians, ...
In modern war the line is drawn somewhere, but easily crossed, eg the bombings in afghanistan don't only hit combatants.

Who are the biggest rapist is a biased opinion. You think US soldiers never did anything wrong in Vietnam ? Or the Khmer ?
The figures are never correct and will never be.
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #78
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Any group of people will do good and bad. Some groups are much worse than others. I don't think the West Germans envied their East German brothers nor did the Koreans miss the Japanese.
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #79
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Morality in these cases seem more to do with the morality of the strongest in the group who then 'drag' the rest to their level. The 'mob' rule, disciplined troops or unruly masses.

As far as war is concerned I doubt any army has a totally moral stance that it can enjoy to promote without remembrance of immoral ones.

But let's not allow this discussion to descend into a verbal riot.... Please....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #80
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I would wish people would not be told till the last minute. I would not have time to see my family because they live over 900 miles away so I wouldn't even try to get to them. I even doubt the phones would work after it is known, no utilities, no gas, water or electric. No one will go to work. I would quietly sit with my animals and neighbors and tell stories by the campfire. I would set my fish free by the spring behind the house. I would let Lavander, my chinchilla, run wild. I would take the collars off Willow and Hammy my dog and cat. Since I don't know if this is a World-End thing or just man-kind end thing but I would try to make life and/or death as easy for them as possible as they depend on me to take care of them. I'm not a kid and I never was one for a wild party even when I was young. Other than not going in to work my life would not change.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #81
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Interesting, all the responses...

We could we add a poll, secret, that would point to a binary choice.

Would you go to the good side of your self?
Would you go to the dark side of your self?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #82
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post

Could you tell which was which if it happened?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #83
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Could you tell which was which if it happened?
______
Dennis
As someone quoted a little higher up, the worst criminal still knows between good and bad. Most of the differences are ingrained. You notice that early in very youg children. You can clearly see which path they will take.

If youre talking of a quick rash decision, mine are quite clear. Are yours?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #84
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post

Well, I AM the light and the way. So I guess it will be the good side... Wait... Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Curse it.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #85
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the problem with the dark/light side of oneself is that it assumes current, relatively for most, benign conditions. when those conditions themselves become dark, and threatening, ones morals may have to change accordingly, to cater for the circumstances. i would like to think that all of us will remain as we currently are, but adversity may force unwanted change to the worse ....
hopefully none of us will have to find out ....

given 5 days notice i would hope that we are isolated enough to remain calm, peaceful and loved until the end, although a forced absence from family will grate on the mind, especially our two kids.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #86
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
No one here has anyone they would beat the tar out of if they could get away with it?

Jesus, I must be a bad person or something.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #87
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
No one here has anyone they would beat the tar out of if they could get away with it?

Actually, yes. A whole slew of electronics - after the power goes for good of course

Oh, you said anyone. Actually, no, no-one has ticked me off that much recently I would love to tell a few people what I really think of them though, but most of them are at work and since I'd not be coming to work it wouldn't matter.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #88
GeoffC

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Actually, yes. A whole slew of electronics - after the power goes for good of course

Oh, you said anyone. Actually, no, no-one has ticked me off that much recently I would love to tell a few people what I really think of them though, but most of them are at work and since I'd not be coming to work it wouldn't matter.
It would be an unnecessary waste of time and energy.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #89
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
People might be tempted, but if they all succumbed we'd end up with a global mass brawl - everyone would be a candidate for a beating from someone.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #90
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
People might be tempted, but if they all succumbed we'd end up with a global mass brawl - everyone would be a candidate for a beating from someone.
that'd be an awful caffuffle to organise in such a short space of time ....

Tags
apple, doomsday, ethics, morals, philosophical