Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
hyperact
hyperact began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 700
Barnes and Noble epub books

Has anyone tried a Barnes and Noble ebook in Calibre? They don't list my Sony 700 as a supported device. I downloaded a free sample and it came over as a regular epub document that Calibre had no trouble using. But I suspect the purchased books will have some kind of protection on them, and before I spend money it would be nice to know if Calibre can work with those.
hyperact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I did not know that B&N already has ePubs. What title did you download?

The B&N DRMed ePubs, will be using eReader-like DRM (based on credit card info) and these won't be readable on your Sony.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
hyperact

I downloaded a free sample of Margaret Atwood's new novel, Year of the Flood. It contains the first few chapters. It had no DRM on it. B&N offers similar free samples of most of the ebooks I saw on their site. They should probably call them "excerpts" instead of samples.

Too bad it won't work on my Sony. I wanted to support B&N. Back when they supplied Rocket ebooks I bought from them quite a bit. Then they discontinued all their ebooks. Now that they have their new Nook reader, they've re-opened the ebook section.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Barnes and Noble Nook press conference

As of now, the Nook supports three formats. It will handle the legacy "eReader" format originally developed by Peanut Press fpr Palm OS devices, and subsequently ported to a range of other devices. B&N has also partned with Adobe and licensed Adobe's Mobile SDK, so the Nook will support ePub, PDF, and Adobe DRM. Barnes and Noble's intent is to transition entirely to ePub in the future.
______
Dennis
It seems to me that their Epub will come with Adobe Drm. That would explain why the Sony reader are listed as compatible too.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
That sample mentioned is an eReader PDB, not an ePub. From what I've read they'll be switching to ePub around the time the Nook comes out.

IF Sony updates the ADE on their Readers then you should be able to read ePubs from B&N on it if I understand things correctly, but that will be up to Sony to do.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
I tried it on a B&N I had and it didn't work. Hopefuly they like Sony will switch to epub until then I won't be buying from either store.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
hyperact

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That sample mentioned is an eReader PDB, not an ePub. From what I've read they'll be switching to ePub around the time the Nook comes out.

IF Sony updates the ADE on their Readers then you should be able to read ePubs from B&N on it if I understand things correctly, but that will be up to Sony to do.
Sorry, yes, you are right, the sample is a pdb. I hope Sony does update its software, it would encourage more people to be honest about where they get their reading material.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
I tried it on a B&N I had and it didn't work. Hopefuly they like Sony will switch to epub until then I won't be buying from either store.
They will be switching to ePub, this has already been announced. However, it will use the ereader DRM, which is not compatible with ANY current ePub app or reader.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperact View Post
Sorry, yes, you are right, the sample is a pdb. I hope Sony does update its software, it would encourage more people to be honest about where they get their reading material.
I really doubt that. B&N ebook prices aren't anything to write home about. The sources available for Sony users now are usually cheaper.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
They will be switching to ePub, this has already been announced. However, it will use the ereader DRM, which is not compatible with ANY current ePub app or reader.
Does this mean that any file Calibre converts to ePub (such as an html file) will not work with the Nook?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Does this mean that any file Calibre converts to ePub (such as an html file) will not work with the Nook?
No it means that epub files from B&N wont work with any current EPUB reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
The Nook includes the standard mobile Adobe Digital Editions software. It will read DRM-free ePubs (like those from Calibre) and DRMed Adobe ePubs (from many ebook stores, except B&N) just like any other EInk device running mobile ADE. It will also read Adobe PDF ebooks.

The DRMed ePub's from B&N will not be initially readable except on the Nook. Next year, existing and new EInk device vendors will have the option of upgrading their firmware to support B&N ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
gilgomez
gilgomez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
This post has really helped me figure out what to expect once I receive my Nook. I have downloaded Calibre this morning and hope its support will extend to the Nook. I chose this device because of the epub, pdf, etc formats it accepts since I already have books in the pdf format.
Thanks Kovid for developing Calibre and for supporting all people that enjoy reading!
gilgomez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, nook