Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Highlight fails, page(s) turn instead

Frequently the highlight function fails. I put my finger on a word and hold it there expecting in 1/2 second or so for it to turn on the highlight function so I can then swipe the rest of the text I want highlighted. Nope, it starts turning pages forward or backward depending on where on screen my finger is.

If I give the power button a quick press to turn it off and wait 1-2 seconds and give another quick press to turn it back on I can then highlight correctly. Anyone else experiencing this? Know what causes it? Know how to fix it?
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
It has happened to my Oasis a few times. I'm not on the latest firmware, though.

No idea what causes it. All my books are sideloaded.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Not having this issue on PW4.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still having this problem. I did a full reset a few days ago. Today when it wouldn't highlight I tried the power off trick but that didn't work. I did a menu restart and finally could highlight again. Am on 5.14.3.0.1 update. About ready to give up on Kindle if I can learn how to get my 5,500 Kindle books into a Kobo.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #5
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
I had it once on my Oasis 3. But it was gone after a single restart.

Last edited by tekkasit; 08-10-2022 at 10:41 PM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2022, 10:59 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've seen that behaviour 3 times on my PW4. Considering how little I actually use it, I would have thought it was more common that it seems to be.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
This happened to me a few times on a basic. But I just chalked it up to the basic being, well, basic.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Frequently the highlight function fails. I put my finger on a word and hold it there expecting in 1/2 second or so for it to turn on the highlight function so I can then swipe the rest of the text I want highlighted. Nope, it starts turning pages forward or backward depending on where on screen my finger is.

If I give the power button a quick press to turn it off and wait 1-2 seconds and give another quick press to turn it back on I can then highlight correctly. Anyone else experiencing this? Know what causes it? Know how to fix it?
Which Kindle model is this happening on?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:18 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Which Kindle model is this happening on?
Reported devices so far in this thread are Paperwhite 5, Paperwhite 4, Oasis 3 and Basic 10th Gen.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #10
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Mine is the latest Oasis, a 3 I believe it is. I guess I'll start hunting for the correct phone number to call Amazon and see what can be done.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Mine is the latest Oasis, a 3 I believe it is. I guess I'll start hunting for the correct phone number to call Amazon and see what can be done.
Are you holding your finger in the screen over the first word long enough for the Kindle to register it as a highlight instead of a tap?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #12
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Yes, firm pressure and only lift after two or three unwanted page turns. Reflexes aren't as fast as they once were. Of course, when it works correctly, lift would get dictionary definition and swipe gets whatever all text you want highlighted.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:45 PM   #13
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
For what it's worth, I confirm having this issue as well, and quite frequently too, on my Oasis 3. Just pressing the power button off and on (no need to actually restart the kindle) "fixes" this until the next time. I think it happens as well on my Voyage but I'm not 100% sure. I've experienced this for years now, it's not something new.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #14
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
For what it's worth, I confirm having this issue as well, and quite frequently too, on my Oasis 3. Just pressing the power button off and on (no need to actually restart the kindle) "fixes" this until the next time. I think it happens as well on my Voyage but I'm not 100% sure. I've experienced this for years now, it's not something new.
Yes, an issue for a long time, measured in years not hours. Usually the power off and wait a couple seconds then on temporarily correct it, sometimes for a while and other time only for that single highlighting and then it repeats the next time I try to highlight something. Periodically I do a restart when it happens as I think it's good to restart devices once in a while. I've also tried factory reset hoping for the best but it never cures it. It's a shame all big tech is only interested in fact checking and making sure only one side is allowed to fully express themselves rather than using their people and resources to solve actual issues like this one.