Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
French2001
French2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo and Mac OS Catalina

Hi

Since High Sierra I hadn't synchronized my Kobo with my MacBook and now I wanted to do it to synchronize an epub.
My Kobo reader is no longer recognized under Catalina.
When I plug in my Kobo, the screen of the reader tells me it's connected to the Macbook, it recharges, but I don't see it on the desktop, the Kobo application or Calibre.
The procedure works on another mac with a previous OS (High Sierra).

French2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you checked for updated to the Kobo app?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
makara
Connoisseur
makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'makara knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: KA1, KLH2O, Oasis 3
I had this option. I just changed the USB cable to a new one. And everything became good.
makara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
French2001

The USB cable works well because it appears on the desktop of the Mac mini which is under high sierra. Concerning Kobo application it is the latest version on my MacBook under Catalina.
My Kobo may be too old for Catalina?

I have another issue with the Mac mini under high Sierra is that I can not send an ePub or kepub via calibre 3(calibre 4 is not compatible with high sierra).
Old 06-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
French2001

it's super boring,I hate the iPad for reading. if I don't find a solution, I'm thinking about buying the Libra or Oasis...
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I am using a Kobo Forma with my iMac running the latest Catalina release. It works. However on two occasions the Forma showed 0 books in Calibre. I had to sign out and sign back in on the Forma for Calibre to recognize all of the books on the device. You may want to give that a try.
Thanks, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
French2001

I've already done this manipulation dozens of times and it doesn't work on catalina. I have a kobo glo hd and I'd love to get some feedback from kobo glo hd users…
Old 06-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I seem to recall it might be an OS X issue. You might want to ask in the Apple forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Catalina seems to be a bit more sensitive about USB devices drawing power from the USB port. It -should- display a message in the top right about this.

For what it's worth I've used Catalina with a Forma, and with a Kobo Aura h2O original. While both devices came out after the Glo HD, the hardware involved should not have changed all that much. it's still connecting the internal drive to the Mac.

Have you tried connecting something else which would use data to the USB port in question, even a mouse or keyboard would do as they transmit to the Mac.

edit to add

Just updated to Catalina on my own iMac, I'd been holding off because the version of Photoshop I was using was still 32bit and I didn't really fancy getting into the terrible subscription service with Adobe but I found a viable alternative, anyway long story short my Forma shows up and loads in Calibre.

I'd test my Kobo Aura h2o but i really don't see the need as it'd loaded under Catalina on another Mac.

As the forums haven't seen any reports of this behavior under Catalina other than yours, I'd say it's specific to your hardware. Since the Kobo Glo HD mounts on another Mac, and you've tested the USB cable, I'd have to presume the USB port on your Mac has been damaged in some way.

Last edited by MGlitch; 06-20-2020 at 07:33 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by French2001 View Post
Hi

Since High Sierra I hadn't synchronized my Kobo with my MacBook and now I wanted to do it to synchronize an epub.

My Kobo reader is no longer recognized under Catalina.

When I plug in my Kobo, the screen of the reader tells me it's connected to the Macbook, it recharges, but I don't see it on the desktop, the Kobo application or Calibre.

The procedure works on another mac with a previous OS (High Sierra).

Some users were reporting problems with USB devices and Catalina. Apparently, an update fixed it for many people. Are you running the latest version?

Does system info show the Kobo on your USB chain? Go to >About this Mac then click on System Report. Now scroll to the bottom of the Hardware items in the left sidebar and click on USB. Do you see something like “eReader-x.xx.xxxxxx” in the USB Device Tree on the right? If you do, then the device isn’t mounting properly but is being seen by your Mac, which gives you more information on troubleshooting it. If you don’t see it in the tree, then there could be a problem with either the cable, the USB bus, or the USB protocols.

Another suggestion is that you need to reset the SMC. Here’s apples tech-support page on how to do it ☞ https://support.apple.com/HT201295

Lastly, when I ran into this problem last year where my Kobo would connect and draw power from the USB cable, but not mount, it was a problem with the Kobo’s firmware. Once it was updated, I was able to mount my Kobo properly on my Mac again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #11
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Just updated to Catalina on my own iMac, I'd been holding off because the version of Photoshop I was using was still 32bit and I didn't really fancy getting into the terrible subscription service with Adobe but I found a viable alternative, anyway long story short my Forma shows up and loads in Calibre.
Off topic, but what's your viable alternative to Photoshop? My Mac was aging and CC was becoming hard to deal with. I've mostly been using Pixelmator Pro and its predecessor for awhile, now, even if it's a lesser substitute. At least it didn't turn my MBP into a sluggish producer of howling wind noises.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:04 AM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Off topic, but what's your viable alternative to Photoshop? My Mac was aging and CC was becoming hard to deal with. I've mostly been using Pixelmator Pro and its predecessor for awhile, now, even if it's a lesser substitute. At least it didn't turn my MBP into a sluggish producer of howling wind noises.
Affinity Photo, it was 25 bucks on sale, it's now back to 50 I believe (unless they extended the sale, possible as it was a sale brought on by Covid). It's not quite as robust as Photoshop, but it still does more than I need, and can't argue with even the 50 dollar price tag.

I haven't put it fully through its paces, but it can open .psd files, supports layers, it's got filters. My major complaint thus far is it looks more like Windows PS where everything is contained within a single large window, rather than Mac Photoshop where everything is a free floating window. It's a minor gripe, and honestly one I can live with to not give Adobe any of the various payment plans (the cheapest of which would exceed the cost of Affinity Photo in 6 months).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #13
Gone
Out of order
Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gone has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
it's super boring,I hate the iPad for reading. if I don't find a solution, I'm thinking about buying the Libra or Oasis...
I’m on MacOS Catalina also, with a Kobo Libra. No problem. I know it doesn’t help you... Never had any problems with any Kobo before.

Try with another USB cable and port. I guess you already did.

Last edited by Gone; 06-21-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #14
French2001

It's all right, I've fixed it. no offence but I've never heard so many wrong answers.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
It's all right, I've fixed it. no offence but I've never heard so many wrong answers.
So how about sharing what you did.

All we've been doing is sharing our collective experiences as to what might be wrong.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote