Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Stupid little observation (add your own if so inclined)

The other day I took my Tap into the kitchen when our Echo is located. The intention was to listen to the Tap while loading the dishwasher, and then take it back with me when I left the kitchen with no break. So on the way into the kitchen, I pressed the microphone button and said, "Alexa: play Audible." Sure enough, both the Tap and the Echo began reading my book, just out of sync enough to make me feel I was listening in an echo chamber. Yes, I know the Tap doesn't need the wake word, but it feels so impersonal without it that my normal habit is to use it anyway. I can see I need some retraining.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The other day I took my Tap into the kitchen when our Echo is located. The intention was to listen to the Tap while loading the dishwasher, and then take it back with me when I left the kitchen with no break. So on the way into the kitchen, I pressed the microphone button and said, "Alexa: play Audible." Sure enough, both the Tap and the Echo began reading my book, just out of sync enough to make me feel I was listening in an echo chamber. Yes, I know the Tap doesn't need the wake word, but it feels so impersonal without it that my normal habit is to use it anyway. I can see I need some retraining.
If you want wake words for both devices, then use "Alexa" for one and "Echo" for the other.

Once Amazon started flooding the airwaves with Echo commercials, I got tired of my Echo responding every time the TV said "Alexa". So I changed my Echo's wake word to "Echo" - problem solved.

I do wish Amazon would expand the list of wake words with more options.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The oven fan was preventing her from hearing me earlier when I was using her timer function to make tea. After several "Alexa: Stop" commands, the timer kept sounding. I finally told her, "Alexa, SHUT UP!" and she stopped. I felt bad when I realized the oven fan was interfering with her hearing. She copped an attitude over it, too. Next time I told her to set a timer she set the alarm clock instead. Don't screw with Alexa! She's getting smarter by the day, and she's listening and filing these little insults away for the Day of the Singularity.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-10-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I only tell her to shut up. Stop takes to much thinking on her part but she recognizes shut up right away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm not ready for a world where we talk to our electronics.

I read and/or listen to the J D Robb "In Death" series, and it's struck me from the beginning how much she talks to her computer, her car, etc. If I had to work in an office where everyone spoke commands to their computers, I think I'd go over the bend.

Although to be fair, I imagine that people who work in call centers are able to tune out the (one-way) conversations they hear going on around them. I have a hard enough time when a coworker is training someone at her desk beside me.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Don't screw with Alexa! She's getting smarter by the day, and she's listening and filing these little insults away for the Day of the Singularity.
If I'm still around then, I'm leaving the planet with the dolphins. I've already booked passage.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If I'm still around then, I'm leaving the planet with the dolphins. I've already booked passage.
Now that's the ticket! So long and thanks for all the fish!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Ok, so the device isn't explicitly lock-trained to someones voice (if a commercial on TV can trigger it) The question is: what happens when you make an audio controlled device read aloud a sequence which would be a command stack itself?

A whole new generation of overly simple viruses?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have an open invitation to leave with the bees.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote