Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Kindle Home Screen - recommended content & advertising

I'm thinking of getting my father a Kindle and had a question about the home screen.

In screenshots of the Kindle homescreen, I see a row of books from your library at the top and a row of recommended books from the Kindle Store at the bottom.

I also see from the User Guide: "Recommended Content: When in cover view, this option allows you to display or hide recommended content from the Kindle Store on your Home screen."

What happens on the homescreen when you hide recommended content? Does the whole screen fill up with books from your library?

Also, where and when do special offers appear? I'm concerned it's distracting or intrusive.

Thanks!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Recommended content can be disabled in the settings menu, and then fortunately goes back to showing your own books there instead.

Special offers appears on the sleep screen and as a small footer in the library view. Most people do not find it intrusive, especially since it most certainly does NOT appear while you are reading.

The only reason why I don't like the special offers? Is because if I hadn't gotten rid of them, I couldn't use the screensavers hack (requires jailbreak) to make the screensaver show the cover of the book I am i the middle of reading.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Perfect! Thanks much eschwartz!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
One more thing to consider: with the ad version, when you turn on the kindle after it goes to sleep you need to do a swipe to dismiss the ad. That means if you get a flip cover when you open it you have to swipe the screen before you can start reading. Not as nice an experience. I think that is the main reason people pay to get rid of the ad.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Unless you leave wifi off and don't register the kindle. Then when you flip the cover, you start reading immediately.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert