Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Device: K-3, Kindle Fire HDX 7" 2013
Calibre improvement suggestion

This may be rather academic, as I may have missed something obvious with regard to Calibre’s present functions, but if not I have a suggestion for a fundamental improvement to Calibre, which I’m sure many of its users would appreciate.

Okay, well in a nutshell, it would be great if there was a simple way to have various “locked drawers” where sensitive material could be hidden away from other users, unless they too had a “key”.

We have guests stay with us, family and friends, some who have children etc. Now, as well as having a small actual library, I have been taking much pleasure in setting up a “digital” library, all thanks to Calibre (Kovid, and all those other clever people who are able to contribute with their knowledge on such things). Now, my wife has just recently got the “Kindle” bug, and I am so pleased for her. She has taken to reading fiction, some of which is a little “racy” when it comes to expletives and graphic encounters, which actually shocked me, as the series she is currently reading is your typical “Vampire” genre (think True Blood and more!). Anyway, I too like reading the occasional hard core horror book, which most certainly wouldn’t be suitable for children or even In-laws. That said, some of our weekend guests, and friends, would certainly enjoy flicking through our full library I’m sure, thus we have a bit of a problem.

I have an older Kindle that I want to leave on a bookshelf when we have anyone staying, that is unless they bring their own “reader” (gosh we must be boring), and thus they can connect with my Calibre content server and take a book of their choosing. Now, the ideal scenario would be if we could give our guests a “key”, ie a password, which would let them view books which we think wouldn’t cause embarrassment or upset. This is especially important given the fact that sometimes they might have children with them, and if they too wanted access to the library, I would hate to have them downloading something inappropriate when looking for Harry Potter…!

Now I have looked at the “create a library” function, but I don’t think this will do what I would hope for, in as much as allowing me to “lock away” the sex blood and gore…

So, it may be a big ask, but not being a computer tech, I don’t know how much it would take to incorporate such a system of “locked draw/s and pass-key/s” into Calibre. I do feel however, that many Calibre users would really appreciate something like this, especially when (as most of us do I'm sure) have material unsuitable for children or easily shock-able house guests.

I have the feeling that so many Calibre users set up their libraries for their own personal pleasure, which is absolutely fine, as did I at first; however, the thought of having a library open to a family, and to friends, guests etc, well it just seems such a wonderful thing to have.

The one thing holding me back is not having the facility to restrict the contents according to our guests sensitivity, and with ease of setup and use.

Thank you.

Last edited by Saxguy; 05-03-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: My error, appologies to Kovid for wrong name spelling
Saxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try defining a virtual library based on search terms, e.g. a list of "bad" authors. You can use the not... and not... and not... search operators.

Then configure the Content Server to use that virtual library as a server restriction.

If you use the CLI to start multiple content servers on different ports, you can serve libraries with different restrictions and passwords etc.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
Saxguy
Connoisseur
Saxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toysSaxguy shares his or her toys

Hahaha… I’m sorry but all I heard was “try using a derble flange to cropilate a flack bucket and Klingon a subterraneous sprocklebracket using a floppy-wobblenut … etc”
Please excuse my attempt at humour, and it wasn’t meant to be insulting, but just to show my own ineptitude with anything beyond setting up my email account (with phone assistance!).
I will be sure to try and give it a go, honestly I will, but I didn’t want to mess up a working system, or add to my already high blood pressure. I was hoping that maybe future updates may feature something along the lines of an icon based solution. I’m fine with those, well, most of them!
I did wonder whether or not to send in the suggestion, as I am already so in awe of Calibre, and I get so much fun out of adding books and building up my “library”. I mean I am just grateful for being able to use the program, and freely too. However, people are often asked what features would they like to see included, and I honestly feel that this would be a wonderful feature for anyone like myself, or any adults who have younger family members, and who would wish to protect them from the more gritty reading material.
It’s not that I am a lazy person, but I do get in a muddle with the blasted computer, and even now I am having problems setting up a NAS system (that works when it wants) for my music, plus other things including a repeater for better coverage. Seems I get one thing sorted, and it knocks out something else!
No, I feel that maybe an actual program facilitated solution would be the way to go for me.
If I knew anything about programming I would gladly do it myself and share it, unfortunately I am not at all gifted in this respect.
My respect to you, and all those who make this such a great piece of software.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy View Post
I’m sorry but all I heard was “try using a derble flange to cropilate a flack bucket and Klingon a subterraneous sprocklebracket using a floppy-wobblenut … etc”
I'm afraid that's increasingly how my hearing seems to go these days, as well, now that things have become so complex they're far beyond my 1980s-1990s expertise level. So I for one very much enjoyed your humor.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Saxguy - use the terms that you don't understand to search the calibre User Manual - example

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	137890

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under the Covers View Post
I'm afraid that's increasingly how my hearing seems to go these days, as well, now that things have become so complex they're far beyond my 1980s-1990s expertise level. So I for one very much enjoyed your humor.
Thank you Sir…. Yes, I guess we are in the same time zone or thereabouts. I remember seeing one of the supervisors walking around a construction site with a “swinging brick” (one of the first Motorola mobile phones, that weighed about the same as a pickup battery!), and we all laughed, and I said, well, that’ll never catch on! Umm, hindsight eh? Oh, must have been back in 1980something or other..!

But I do envy those who know what it all means, this programming m’larky. You know, I can build you a house, top to bottom. I can plumb, wire, lay bricks, tile, dry wall, lay solid wood flooring etc etc, and it will be the best job you have ever seen, honestly. On top of which, I am an accomplished artist, I also play the sax, sing, am well travelled, articulate, have given after dinner speeches, lectured…………. Blah blah… however, bloody computers confuse and annoy the heck out of me!

No, I take my hat off to those who know their way around them. When it comes to such things, unfortunately, I am but a mere user. Albeit, a grateful one.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #7
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Saxguy - use the terms that you don't understand to search the calibre User Manual - example

Attachment 137890

BR
I will, I will... I promise, honestly, just need another JD, and I'm on it!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I've been using multiple content servers running with different restrictions...and that works. However it is definitely NOT for the faint-of-heart to attempt!

The current content server has switches for username and library restrictions. I would think it would be fairly simple to add functionality to the content server based on username. If username X then restricted to virtual library X, if Username Y then restricted to virtual library Y... At least I THINK it would be very simple...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is so hard about it???

All you do is run a single command, with fill-in-blank-here values for e.g.
Code:
--port="8080" --username="user1" --password="password1" --with-library="/path/to/library1" --restriction="restriction1-1"
--port="8081" --username="user2" --password="password2" --with-library="/path/to/library2" --restriction="restriction2-1"
--port="8082" --username="user3" --password="password3" --with-library="/path/to/library2" --restriction="restriction2-2"
Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #10
Saxguy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Code:
--port="8080" --username="user1" --password="password1" --with-library="/path/to/library1" --restriction="restriction1-1"
--port="8081" --username="user2" --password="password2" --with-library="/path/to/library2" --restriction="restriction2-1"
--port="8082" --username="user3" --password="password3" --with-library="/path/to/library2" --restriction="restriction2-2"
what is a single command, and where do I run with it?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:48 AM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The command to launch the calibre Content Server is:
Code:
calibre-server
Pass some of the above-mentioned flags to customize how it is displayed. For example:

Code:
calibre-server --port="8080" --username="user1" --password="password1" --with-library="/path/to/library1" --restriction="restriction1-1"
Creates a content server running at "ip-address:8080" with the login details of username: user1 and password:password1
It will serve the library located at /path/to/library1 and restrict it to the saved Virtual Library "restriction1-1"
Old 05-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Saxguy - at the command line run ==>> calibre-server

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I do run multiple command line servers. But it does take a certain level of networking know-how that is not easy for most people to understand. Especially when you get into the need to set up port forwarding to each of those 8080, 8081, 8082 etc.

If the built-in GUI content server had the ability to differentiate which library is being served based on the given username it would make it much simpler for the common user to set up. Although it may still need port forwarding to the single port...can't remember??

A simple table would need to be added to the GUI:

Username Password Restriction
X qazwsx x
Y zaqxsw y

Last edited by Turtle91; 05-05-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Port forwarding is not required any more than it is when you use the GUI.

Whe you say "not for the faint of heart" I also expect some reason more elaborate than "must understand basic command-line operation".

I guess I just considered it a given that there are certain levels of skill required, and I was wondering what was so special and beyond even that.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
<My 2 cents>
If the user still can't understand the CLI instructions (after help), they should probably not be implementing something as (hacker) dangerous as port forwarding.
</no change coming >

I am OK being a passenger in a 747,
but I would never consider flying (piloting) one (for one thing, they land faster than the 20 Mph that I am used to.).

Same thing here.
Know when you are in need of onsite professional help to avoid a crash-n-burn later.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote