Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Bit
Mé leabhair a léamh
Bit began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle WiFi+3G, Sony PRS300
Sony PRS300 as a Backup/Sharing eReader?

Hey there,

I've a chance to get my hands on a Sony PRS300 James Patterson Limited Edition reader for pretty cheap (~50% off MSRP here). I'd like a backup reader, incase I leave my Kindle at work etc, and also to share with my girlfriend and other people incase they want to read any of my ebook collection, and to spread the joy of eReaders.

How is the Sony PRS300? I'm looking to expand to other eReaders, and it would be nice to have for the reasons mentioned above.

EDIT: I also really like James Patterson, so that's a plus I guess

Thanks,

-Bit

Last edited by Bit; 08-21-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You didn't mention whether you strip DRM, convert formats, etc. A Kindle book will not be readable on a Sony, as is. The DRM would have to be removed, and the format converted to ePub.

If you are looking to start getting books in ePub format, it might be a good deal.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Bit
Mé leabhair a léamh

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You didn't mention whether you strip DRM, convert formats, etc. A Kindle book will not be readable on a Sony, as is. The DRM would have to be removed, and the format converted to ePub.

If you are looking to start getting books in ePub format, it might be a good deal.
Yeah, I strip DRM off my Kindle books, and use Calibre so I can easily convert from AZW/Mobi to ePub.

So should I go for it?

EDIT: Just ordered it, was a Waterstones eBay auction, one unit probably on clearance, so decided to nab it before it went. I haven't read the included James Patterson book, so even if the reader sucks, I'll still get something good out of it :P

Last edited by Bit; 08-21-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Bit
Mé leabhair a léamh

So did I make the wrong decision?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I like my PRS300.

One of the quirks is that you can't have an epub & pdf on it at the same time. I exclusively download my books from the library. One of the positives with this reader is that if you are in the middle of reading a library book, it stays on the reader until you click to the last page OR hook it up to your computer to charge. I have the optional dc charger.

I also have the leather cover protector w/built in LED light that I like. It balances in my hand in a comfortable familiar way. I'm not in any way tempted by the new stuff coming out at this point. It does what I want it to do, allows me to become immersed in a story without distractions fits in my purse easily.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My travel ereader is my trusty old PRS-300. Works a charm and is wrapped up in an M-Edge cover that can be zipped up.

No complaints here.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote