Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
kuklachica
Enthusiast
kuklachica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
Kindle 3 wi-fi problem

Good evening folks,

My husband has now had connectivity problems with his wi-fi on his Kindle 3 (not a 3G, wi-fi only). He doesn't turn it off, but twice when he's come back from "sleep" his wi-fi is off, and then our home network (we have an Apple Express) doesn't show up as a network option. I'm assuming it isn't our network because my Kindle is still connected to wi-fi (mine is 3G also), and our laptops all are still connected. Eventually our network will show up again as an available network and he can log on again. Anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?

I tried searching for others with this issue, but didn't see any posts/forums, I appreciate your help!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
hopefully one of the K3 users will see this and help out. if nothing else, Kindle support is notoriously... supportive!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
You might also want to try the Airport Express forum on Apple. I know you think it's not a problem with the network but a quick check there seemed to indicate that other Kindlers have had issues. So also worth a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.j...D=1011&start=0
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Jamess
Jamess began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd gen Wifi
Had a similar problem to yours, but I fixed it by creating a 'guest network' and logging on to that.
Jamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have heard (not confirmed) that the Kindle Wi-Fi is not very strong and that you have to be closer to the source than other devices do. Could that be your issue -- that your husband's Kindle is too "far" away to "see" your network? (Doors and walls cause interference too.)

Sorry I'm not much help.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have never had a problem with my Kindle Wii and my Apple Airport Express..... but I turn my wii off on the Kindle when I no longer need Internet access (it is a battery drain). I suspect it has something to do with sleep mode but don't know.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
ywen
ywen doesn't litterywen doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 3g
I've had similar problems with other wifi devices.. (nintendo DS, laptop etc).

I regard these kind of things as a compatibility issue that might have to do with the exact state of the Kindle software that's in the unit that's experiencing the issue. Have you tried restarting both the Kindle and/or the router?

If you took both units to a public wifi hotspot, does the issue still exist?
ywen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
sil
sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Typical behaviour from ISPs is to disconnect/reconnect your broadband connection periodically. This creates a checkpoint for them to check you haven't exceeded your alloted download quota and if you have they reconnect you at a low speed, or start counting for excess charges (depending on how your ISP connection plan handles excess usage).

This reconnect process takes a short time and most people will never notice it. Most downloads will recommence on their own and if you are web browsing you may notice a page load "pausing" with nothing else loading and then it continues.

This would mean your wifi connection disappears, and perhaps the Kindle doesn't poll to see if it is back up and just turns off once it loses connection (to save power?). Some other wireless devices I've seen behave the same way. Not all ISPs do this, so not everyone will have the same experience.
sil is offline   Reply With Quote