Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-27-2023, 01:21 PM   #1
Rinakles
Rinakles began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre 7.2.0 won't launch

I decided to update to the latest version, and now the app refuses to launch. Haven't been able to figure out the fix on my own.

Windows 10. Here's the results from calibre-debug -g:
Quote:
calibre 7.2 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (2, 6, 0) && DeDRM (7, 2, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (2, 6, 0) && English Noun Frequency (1, 0, 16) && F_rating (3, 2, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 30, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 10, 8) && Goodreads (1, 7, 9) && Goodreads_Rating (4, 0, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (2, 6, 0) && KFX Input (2, 6, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (2, 4, 0) && KFX Output (2, 4, 0) && Obok DeDRM (7, 2, 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "runpy.py", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 88, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 95, in <module>
File "site.py", line 90, in main
File "site.py", line 50, in run_entry_point
File "calibre\debug.py", line 231, in main
File "calibre\gui_launch.py", line 72, in calibre
File "bypy-importer.py", line 279, in exec_module
File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 5, in <module>
ImportError: Module use of python310.dll conflicts with this version of Python.
Additionally, I cannot try to roll back to an older version as trying to uninstall 7.2.0 gets stuck in 'Remove shortcuts', and running an old installer tells me that the newer version needs to be removed first.

Any advice?

Last edited by Rinakles; 12-27-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Rinakles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It thinks you have python 310 installed (earlier on the Path) which conflicts.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2023, 09:25 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
dont worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:31 PM   #4
Rinakles

Like I said, cannot uninstall. It gets stuck on 'Remove shortcuts' part of the process.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:35 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Mis read
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
Rinakles

Oh, never mind. All I had to do was to delete the old python310.dll from Calibre. That was easier than I expected.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:05 AM   #7
Nordlichtmarkus
Nordlichtmarkus began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Hello, I have the same problem. Yesterday I updated to 7.2.0 and Caliber hasn't started since then. I only have python311.dll. Deleting it didn't help. I have now downgraded to 7.1.0. Now the following error occurs:
calibre, version 7.1.0
Beschädigte Datenbank: Die Bibliotheksdatenbank (Z:\Dokumente\markus\CalibreComics) scheint fehlerhaft zu sein. Möchten Sie, dass Calibre versucht diese automatisch wiederherzustellen? Die Wiederherstellung wird unter Umständen nicht erfolgreich sein. Wenn Sie Nein wählen, wird Calibre eine neue, leere Bibliothek anlegen.

File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 331, in initialize_db
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 195, in __init__
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 50, in create_backend
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 511, in __init__
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 951, in initialize_notes
File "calibre\db\notes\connect.py", line 79, in __init__
File "calibre\db\notes\connect.py", line 86, in reopen
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 399, in execute
File "C:\t\t\apsw-42s16m2x\src\cursor.c", line 240, in resetcursor
apsw.NotADBError: NotADBError: file is not a database

Regards
Markus
Nordlichtmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:07 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have a corrupted file in your calibre library folder. Delete the .clanotes hidden folder in the calibre library oflder and then start calibre and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:30 AM   #9
runaron
runaron began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 6
Hello, me too I encounter massive problems with "corrupt database" since updating to 7.2.

calibre, version 7.2.0
Beschädigte Datenbank: Die Bibliotheksdatenbank (Z:\FritzSSD\Ebooks\Calibre) scheint fehlerhaft zu sein. Möchten Sie, dass Calibre versucht diese automatisch wiederherzustellen? Die Wiederherstellung wird unter Umständen nicht erfolgreich sein. Wenn Sie Nein wählen, wird Calibre eine neue, leere Bibliothek anlegen.

File "calibre\gui2\main.py", line 327, in initialize_db
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 195, in __init__
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 50, in create_backend
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 511, in __init__
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 951, in initialize_notes
File "calibre\db\notes\connect.py", line 79, in __init__
File "calibre\db\notes\connect.py", line 86, in reopen
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 399, in execute
File "C:\t\t\apsw-42s16m2x\src\cursor.c", line 240, in resetcursor
apsw.NotADBError: NotADBError: file is not a database

We have several Windows11 installations of calibre in our household. My wife's Calibre 6.4 works flawless with this database but whenever I start one of my new 7.2 installations it shows the "corrupt database" error message.
Repairing is offered but fails every time.
With the working 6.4 installation I created a backup of the database and tried to restore it with my 7.2 which failed showing the same error message.
I tried to delete .calnotes in the calibre directory as advised, now Calibre starts but I can't open or handle any book. Clicking on one results in a "NotADBError file is not a database" message.
I really need help.
Regards - runaron
runaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:02 AM   #10
runaron

...before someone asks: uninstalling and reinstalling of the program didn't help either...
Old 01-04-2024, 05:14 AM   #11
runaron

I went back to 6.4.0 and this works for me now.
In this case updating doesn't result in a better user experience...
Anyway - I'd still like to know what the reason of the problem is.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:44 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Z: <===

Calibre should NOT be run on a Network share.

You finally hit the combination (version code, OS) case where what you were getting away with, no longer works.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:16 AM   #13
Rinakles

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

You finally hit the combination (version code, OS) case where what you were getting away with, no longer works.
You can map any drive to Z:, there's nothing special about it.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:56 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinakles View Post
You can map any drive to Z:, there's nothing special about it.
It's true any 2nd or more local drive (other than a floppy) can easily be mapped to Z: (mounted) on Windows, but it's often an indication of a networked drive (LAN or Cloud). I used to map optical drives at install time to L: (for loader) or R: (for recorder) so that adding extra hard drives wouldn't cause the letter to change and thus break games etc, though sometimes I'd mount an added HDD in a empty directory (folder) like C:\VideoEdit or C:\Data. I always since NT 4.0 workstations with Roaming Profiles on a Domain Controller going wrong in 2000 avoided "My Documents".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:29 PM   #15
runaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

I am not aware running Calibre on a Network share, it is installed in C: and I run it on my local drive, just the database is placed on the FritzNAS mapped to Z:
Of course the database should be accessible from all the computers in the house with their Calibre clients, so it HAS TO BE on a Network share!

Can't imagine that could not be intended...