Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Downgrading Calibre from 5.3 to 4.23 questions

Can anyone help me with how to downgrade Calibre from 5.3 to 4.23? I need the tools working.

Do I need to copy my calibre library to a safe location first?
Then uninstal calibre 5.3 and load 4.23
Then move calibre back

and how do repoint 4.23 to look at my library?

Sorry but this is a disaster for me

Please can anyone

Thank you
Old 10-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Assuming you are using Windows

Uninstall 5.3
Install 4.23

Your settings and libraries will be fine.

If you're worried, back 'em up ==>> How do I backup calibre?

BR
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Assuming you are using Windows

Uninstall 5.3
Install 4.23

Your settings and libraries will be fine.

If you're worried, back 'em up ==>> How do I backup calibre?

BR
Thank you, i'm using both windows and a MAC. I'm going to take a complete backup of my Calibre Library folder on an external drive before i do anything. Just to be sure.

I still can't quite believe a new calibre version was released that doesn't work with the tools. Its just not something i ever would have worried about. If i get my three machines working okay again i'm never updating calibre again.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thank you, i'm using both windows and a MAC. I'm going to take a complete backup of my Calibre Library folder on an external drive before i do anything. Just to be sure.

I still can't quite believe a new calibre version was released that doesn't work with the tools. Its just not something i ever would have worried about. If i get my three machines working okay again i'm never updating calibre again.

You can install calibre portable app along side the main one and have both. Portable apps will install everything in a folder of your choice.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
You can install calibre portable app along side the main one and have both. Portable apps will install everything in a folder of your choice.
Until today i'd never heard about calibre portal so i've no idea what is is or how to use it.
Advert
Old 10-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I simply installed 4.23 over 5.3 on my Mac and it worked seemlessly .

The tools work perfectly too, so very happy now as at least my Mac is fine.

Thanks everyone for your help. very much appreciated. I've learnt my lesson now, no auto upgrading, check it all out first like an IOS update!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

I still can't quite believe a new calibre version was released that doesn't work with the tools.
I think your frustration is pointing at the wrong group. The calibre 5 / python 3 release has been well known as being imminent for a long time now. The fact that the dedrm tools were not updated is not Kovid's responsibility
Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think your frustration is pointing at the wrong group. The calibre 5 / python 3 release has been well known as being imminent for a long time now. The fact that the dedrm tools were not updated is not Kovid's responsibility
I understand that, it’s just I don’t frequent this forum at all and have always upgraded seamlessly. It’s alright saying I should have heeded warnings but if I don’t see or even know the warnings exist there’s not a lot I can do except, in future, avoid updating without a thorough google search first. Whilst this is not Kovid’s fault I does affect my trust ability in updating.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

Thread closed - issue resolved in ==>> FOR ALL THE "DEDRM ISN'T WORKING!!!" POSTS...

BR
Closed Thread