Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2024, 08:28 AM   #1
Falafelteller
Falafelteller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Tolino Vision Color
Can I get rid of the bottom row on the home screen?

Topic, see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4166 Large.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	208484  
Falafelteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:44 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
In general, yes. There are patches for it. But the patches for the latest color Kobos have not been released yet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2024, 09:07 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In general, yes. There are patches for it. But the patches for the latest color Kobos have not been released yet.
Some patches work and some don't. The only way to know is to try them and see which apply and which do not of the ones you want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 01:36 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some patches work and some don't. The only way to know is to try them and see which apply and which do not of the ones you want.
The patch for removing the last row works, that I can say for sure....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 02:58 PM   #5
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Are there instructions anywhere please for how to get unreleased patches working? I've got a libra colour I'd love to have the both buttons go next patch working on. It may very well be too complicated for me, and I am sure an proper release will happen, but I've got very used to having that function and I miss it.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2024, 08:45 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesse View Post
Are there instructions anywhere please for how to get unreleased patches working? I've got a libra colour I'd love to have the both buttons go next patch working on. It may very well be too complicated for me, and I am sure an proper release will happen, but I've got very used to having that function and I miss it.
I don't know if that specific patch works, but if you want to experiment on your LC, then the process is not much different from the usual patching instructions:

Download the firmware update you want to modify ( I used the "861" for my Clara BW) and download the latest released patch files - rename the firmware zip to match the patch release name and place it in the usual patching folder.

Modify the patches to what you want (or the overide yaml) as usual. If you know how to integrate the latest patch files into the patching software, then you can get those from github (I didn't try this myself).

There is more info in the github pages about some of the patch issues - the biggest one that won't work for me at this point is the 24 line spacing patch.

I didn't have any issues with patching, however, you need to be prepared that this process could brick your LC despite the fact that others have patched their LC with out issues.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 09:58 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I don't know if that specific patch works, but if you want to experiment on your LC, then the process is not much different from the usual patching instructions:

Download the firmware update you want to modify ( I used the "861" for my Clara BW) and download the latest released patch files - rename the firmware zip to match the patch release name and place it in the usual patching folder.

Modify the patches to what you want (or the overide yaml) as usual. If you know how to integrate the latest patch files into the patching software, then you can get those from github (I didn't try this myself).

There is more info in the github pages about some of the patch issues - the biggest one that won't work for me at this point is the 24 line spacing patch.

I didn't have any issues with patching, however, you need to be prepared that this process could brick your LC despite the fact that others have patched their LC with out issues.
Per Geek1011, who releases the patches, one cannot brick their Kobo with patches that do not work. It is a fail-safe operation. Either the patch(es) will apply or they won't. Don't scare people with incorrect information.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 10:01 PM   #8
SilentPartner
Gone
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafelteller View Post
Topic, see pic.

Get used to it. If you were on a Kindle, there would be adds all over.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 03:44 AM   #9
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Thank you very much for those clear instructions. Worked like a charm and now I'm happily using my Libra Colour the way I've been used to.

I just downloaded a copy of the firmware that is on my device, renamed the firmware file to exactly match that of the last firmware I patched, put it in the correct folder for the patching and reran kobo patch bat file. Worked.

No crashing or bricks here

Last edited by Liesse; 05-26-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:53 AM   #10
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Per Geek1011, who releases the patches, one cannot brick their Kobo with patches that do not work. It is a fail-safe operation. Either the patch(es) will apply or they won't. Don't scare people with incorrect information.
That's good to know, however, I am not a superuser/hacker and what I did was not officially supported by Geek1011. I think in that situation, an overly careful warning about unexpected things happening with experimenting with unsupported patching was warranted. I did not mean to offend you in any way.
Old 05-27-2024, 12:04 AM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
That's good to know, however, I am not a superuser/hacker and what I did was not officially supported by Geek1011. I think in that situation, an overly careful warning about unexpected things happening with experimenting with unsupported patching was warranted. I did not mean to offend you in any way.
Oh, I am not offended in the least. I replied only to reassure anyone wishing to try patching with a previous version that it is safe to do so.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 11:43 AM   #12
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Oh, I am not offended in the least. I replied only to reassure anyone wishing to try patching with a previous version that it is safe to do so.

Ok, great, I try to make sure my net etiquette is appropriate since it can be hard to interpret emotion in typed words . I am glad that you pointed out the general safety of patching. I remember bricking my Aura when I tried to patch it before the current system was developed.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
Get used to it. If you were on a Kindle, there would be adds all over.
No need to get used to it. I have the bottom row removed on my home screen. Give it time and we'll be able to patch the new Color devices as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote