Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Angry Sage bricked

My Sage is bricked. I opened the sleep cover and rather than seeing my book open, I saw the book cover with a series of fine black lines crisscrossing it. I tried turning the Sage off and rebooting with the power button; I tried the manual reset procedure; I charged it overnight and tried the manual reset procedure again several times with no luck. On occasion, the back light will come on or the little white LED will blink. At one point about 1/3 of the screen was overwritten with plain white, but with some lines still in it. There is no sign of physical damage and the Sage was in the Kobo sleep cover on my bed. The only thing I can think is that someone laid on it and broke something internally, but this has happened many times before with no damage. Is there anything I can do or is it a write of?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sounds like back (substrate) of the eink panel is cracked. Unlike an LCD phone or small LCD tablet it's not worth trying to replace the panel.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2023, 02:57 AM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
My Sage is bricked. I opened the sleep cover and rather than seeing my book open, I saw the book cover with a series of fine black lines crisscrossing it. I tried turning the Sage off and rebooting with the power button; I tried the manual reset procedure; I charged it overnight and tried the manual reset procedure again several times with no luck. On occasion, the back light will come on or the little white LED will blink. At one point about 1/3 of the screen was overwritten with plain white, but with some lines still in it. There is no sign of physical damage and the Sage was in the Kobo sleep cover on my bed. The only thing I can think is that someone laid on it and broke something internally, but this has happened many times before with no damage. Is there anything I can do or is it a write of?

People lay on your electronics regularly? 😱

I agree with Quoth. It sounds like the eInk display is damaged. If you’re crafty, you could look for a bricked Sage with a good screen on eBay and try to repair your unit, but these devices are mass assembled in a way that makes repair work incredibly difficult.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #4
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

That's what I thought. Now my quandary is whether just to revert to my old Aura One and wait to see what new Kobos are in store, get a new Sage, or look into color ereaders. I'm inclined to go back to the Aura One, but the screen seems so much less responsive than the Sage's.
Old 12-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo filed paperwork for a new model, but we don't know if it's going to be a Sage 2E, Nia 2E, or something else. Since you have an Aura to use in the meantime, I'd wait until the product announcement before deciding, if I were you.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2023, 05:08 PM   #6
bearymore
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Kobo filed paperwork for a new model, but we don't know if it's going to be a Sage 2E, Nia 2E, or something else. Since you have an Aura to use in the meantime, I'd wait until the product announcement before deciding, if I were you.
Good to know. I think I'll stick with my Aura for now.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:31 PM   #7
HarryEngineer
Enthusiast
HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.

Device: supernote
Is it definitely a hardware problem? bricking usually implies a irreversible software change.
if its software, it may not be bricked. maybe repairable
HarryEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 08:08 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEngineer View Post
Is it definitely a hardware problem? bricking usually implies a irreversible software change.
if its software, it may not be bricked. maybe repairable
The issue with the Sage is that unlike most of Kobo ereaders, the internal storage is fixed so you can't re-image it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:34 PM   #9
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Be sure to not leave it on the bed in the future? And the new Kobo will be a Sage update/upgrade. I know this because I just ordered a Sage Thursday.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:24 PM   #10
bearymore
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Be sure to not leave it on the bed in the future? And the new Kobo will be a Sage update/upgrade. I know this because I just ordered a Sage Thursday.
What has been updated?
Old 12-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
What has been updated?
No one knows, as it has not been released yet. And of course it may not be a new Sage, but another model.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:43 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Quote:
What has been updated?
Cue ZodWallop for a meme.

Last edited by John F; 12-30-2023 at 06:14 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:04 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Fortunately the Universe doesn't work like that, even if sometimes it seems so.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:43 PM   #14
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
What has been updated?
No clue. I just figure if there is a new one that's what it will be a few weeks after I bought mine.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:17 PM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I’m hoping for a new Sage. I’ve wanted a Sage for awhile, but the horror stories about battery life and terrible buttons has kept me from getting it. Hoping a newer one will have those bugs worked out.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote