Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
AFederico
AFederico began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question What device has a russian dictionary that deal with word declension?

Hello !
I read a lot of posts about ebook readers and russian dictionaries, and I installed myself some of them on my old kindle.

The problem is that I couldn't find an integrated dictionary that can translate a declined form a word. The words are translated only if they correspond exactly to the word recorded on the dictionary - it's like you can translate the rusian equivalent of 'go' and not 'went' to make it simple.

My purpose is to find a device that allows me to read a book in russian and access a monolingual russian dictionary or a russian-english dictionary while reading the book.

Please share your first hand experience with this issue - I'm reading russian books looking for words on yandex on my phone, it's very annoying - And I'm in quarantine at home for the covid-19, please, help

THANKS A LOT !!!
AFederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #2
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Which dictionaries have you installed?

I plan to use GoldDict in FBReader on Android and scrape Macmillan and adjust and edit it and use that as the basis dictionary in GoldDict. That's for learning English. GoldDict handles declensions in German and English, and I suppose it's the dictionary that's scraped/installed on GoldDict that matters, with respect to whether or not it handles declensions.

I'm new to this. Just got the idea above after a great tip by Question Mark. So, if you want help here, I suggest jotting down what you've tried.

PS. Hurray for learning Russian in the quarantine.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFederico View Post
I read a lot of posts about ebook readers and russian dictionaries, and I installed myself some of them on my old kindle.
Owners of current eInk Kindle models (6th generation Kindle Paperwhite or better) can download the following dictionaries for free:

ABBYY Lingvo Большой Русско-Английский Словарь (Russian->English)
ABBYY Lingvo Большой Англо-Русский Словарь (English->Russian)
ABBYY Lingvo Большой Толковый Словарь Русского Языка (Russian<->Russian)

All support inflections. For examples, see the screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mono.png
Views:	368
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	178178   Click image for larger version

Name:	ruen.png
Views:	287
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	178179  

Last edited by Doitsu; 04-08-2020 at 09:56 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:04 AM   #4
AFederico

Thanks, that's goog news! So you have a link to those dictionaries? Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, that's goog news! So you have a link to those dictionaries?
There are no direct links, because registered Kindle users need to manually download these optional dictionaries from their devices or schedule the downloads on the Amazon website via Digital Contents > Manage Your Contents and Devices > Books > Dictionaries & User Guides > ABBYY Lingvo Comprehensive Russian-English Dictionary (Russian Edition) > Deliver.

To recap, you'll need to do the following:

1. Buy or borrow an old Kindle (you'll need at least a 6th generation Kindle Paperwhite), or buy a cheap new model.
2. Register it with an Amazon account.
3. Download the Russian dictionaries via the Amazon website or the Kindle GUI.
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Pocketbook. They are an Ukranian company, now operating out of Switzerland. Biggest ereader brand in the former Soviet states. They have about 75% of the ereader market share. Abbyy Lingvo dictionaries in 24 language combinations onboard and you could buy other combinations at their shop.

https://pocketbook.no/no-no
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:46 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Pocketbook. They are an Ukranian company, now operating out of Switzerland. Biggest ereader brand in the former Soviet states. They have about 75% of the ereader market share. Abbyy Lingvo dictionaries in 24 language combinations onboard and you could buy other combinations at their shop.

https://pocketbook.no/no-no
Yeah but support for word declension is rather disappointing.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Yeah but support for word declension is rather disappointing.
Can you give me a sample word for which the Pocketbook version of the Abbyy dictionary doesn't show the correct headword and maybe take a screen capture?
Old 04-12-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Three examples of 'translation not found'. I could give you dozens even from the same page of the book.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (758.1 KB, 222 views)
File Type: bmp scr0002.bmp (758.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: bmp scr0003.bmp (758.1 KB, 168 views)
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

I've just tested the words on my Kindle. The only word it didn't find was денег (AFAIK, it should have shown the entry for деньги). делает was correctly identified as an inflection of делать and нравился as an inflection of нравиться.
I'm a bit suprised that the verbs weren't found, because, IIRC, both verbs are high frequency verbs with predictable inflection patterns.

Maybe ABBYY licensed a more recent version to Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delayet.png
Views:	233
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	178324   Click image for larger version

Name:	nravilsya.png
Views:	205
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	178325  
Old 04-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
PocketBook dictionaries rely on tables of morphemes to convert different forms of words to the root forms. If the tables don't contain a rule for doing the conversion, the match is never made. Creating those tables is a lot of work, and there seems to be some kind of upper limit on the size, as well, so I'm not surprised that the dictionary creators didn't have all of the necessary conversion rules in place.

Of course, you can always add duplicate entries with the various forms to fill in the holes, but that's extra work, too.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #12
AFederico

Thanks EVERYBODY.

As a matter of fact, I installed Smirnitsky (RU-EN) dictionary on my old Kindle and it deals properly with some declension. Still, it doesn't offer any translation at all for such an easy and common word as собирали. It's better than nothing but I'm quite disappointed.
I dowloaded it here: https://kindle.userecho.com/communit...indle-keyboard

About Abbyy, I followed the procedure on amazon (Digital Contents > Manage Your Contents and Devices > Books > Dictionaries & User Guides >) but I still don't find that dictionary, maybe it's a problem of country restrictions?

I'm still following this topic in order to finally find a proper dictionary to comfortably read books in russian while still a begginner.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
About Abbyy, I followed the procedure on amazon (Digital Contents > Manage Your Contents and Devices > Books > Dictionaries & User Guides >) but I still don't find that dictionary, maybe it's a problem of country restrictions?
AFAIK, these dictionaries will only show up if you:
  • Own a Kindle with a firmware version higher than 5.6.1.1.
  • Registered your Kindle with an Amazon website.
  • Connected to the Amazon website with your Kindle at least once.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 AM   #14
ymmv
Enthusiast
ymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notesymmv can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-T1
AFederico, I'm in the exact same situation as you: I've been learning Russian for a while now and now looking for an ereader with high quality Russian-Russian & Russian-English dictionaries. So please update this thread about your experiences in this regard, it will help others as well.
ymmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I would use goldendict on an android ereader. There are many russian related dictionaries that work with goldendict, and goldendict handles conjugation okay.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declension, dictionary, integrated, russian