Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Cropped Covers

Lately I've noticed something I don't remember seeing before.

The last few books I've read have had the cover art cropped. I'm seeing that when reading the book and when the reader goes into standby.

Is there a reader setting that might be causing this or something in Calibre (which I always use for adding books)?

...or has it always done this and I'm just noticing it for the first time. I thought images were resized to fit.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try Re-boot. Sounds like it needs refreshed.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none

Yes, tried that with no luck. Examined the Output Options (under settings) and "Preserve cover aspect ratio" is unchecked. Of course if it WAS checked it should add borders, not crop. It should NEVER crop as far as I can tell.

I uninstalled Calibre back to v3.37 but my reader reacts the same way to larger covers on newly copied books. Older books I copied to the reader a few months back still stretch to fit.

Deleting and manually installing books without Calibre causes the same cropping.

Edit: Removed and recopied a book that stretched the cover... and it still stretches the cover.

Edit 2: Just got a new book from Overdrive today. Cover is 1475x2200 and white borders were added on the left/right to fit the screen.
There seems to be no pattern to this.

Edit 3: Digging deeper, it appears that the problem lies in the book itself. Moving some books into Calibre's editor, I see that the books that get cropped just have code for the image and not much else.

A book that resizes has <svg> code specifying the resolution and aspect ratio. There is also different code for the book that I just got that has white bars.

So it looks like how the cover is treated is dependent on the book, not the reader or Calibre. Calibre SHOULD have more options for managing this when transferring, but it doesn't.

Last edited by DoctorM; 06-22-2019 at 01:06 AM.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I reuse the same code for the cover over and obver (changing only the parameters to fit the physical dimensions of the actual cover photo). The axctual cover is also marked as "cover" in calibre.
Never had any issue at all with any eReader.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote