Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Screen overscan in Poke3 (& others?)

My reader app uses a thin reading progress stripe on the bottom.
On my other devices it treads the fine balance between low-key and visible.
On the Poke3 that stripe is mostly eaten by the bezel.
Yes, if you hold the device at a 45° angle you can see under the bezel and see that the pixels are there.
I haven't measured exactly but it's somewhere in the realm of 20-30 "lost" pixels.

For my own use, I just modified the code to look at Build.MODEL to see if it's in the list of overscanned models.
That list is currently just {"Poke3"}
Instead of having the stripe 4dp, I use 8dp.

You could also use the shell command "wm overscan" (WindowManager) to reduce the screen size, but I don't like that idea.

Has anybody noticed this with other Onyx models?
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Yes, I have the bezel over the screen pixels on my Kon-Tiki 2 too. Probably also true for Nova 2/3 (maybe 1/Pro as well) because they use the same hardware.

However, I didn’t count how many pixels are lost.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mmm, I don't know where my math came from.

8dp gets converted to 15 pixels.
The bars (and spaces) in the shots are 2 pixels each.
The 45° does show 15 pixels (4 bars + 3 spaces + 1 lone pixel at the bottom).
The straight-on shows 10 pixels (3 bars + 2 spaces).
Losage is 5 pixels.
OTOH, if you read with the devices tilted a bit away from you you lose another few pixels.
That justifies the 4dp for normal devices, 8 dp for Poke3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripe1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	189163   Click image for larger version

Name:	stripe2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	739.4 KB
ID:	189164  

Last edited by Renate; 09-08-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have access to my device right now, but here is the the link which contains a screenshot: https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxU...ment-894760534

I am not sure how much margin there supposed to be. The same layout is in the recovery mode, by the way So I guess it starts right at the first pixel, being a barebones system (I mean, "it says supported API:3" which is even pre-Android 1.5...)

Also, in KOReader both top and bottom progress bars fall victims to this cropping as well
Old 09-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard

Yeah, recovery is silly. Even if it's displaying everything it ought to leave a (left) margin.
Since KO is open source you can put in a request for expanding the stripe for overscanned devices.
Advert
Old 09-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
The code is there already. We call it viewport, like in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...evice.lua#L147

It is a bit difficult to port it to android as is because, unlike in other platforms, all devices are defined as a single Device instance (we rely on https://github.com/koreader/android-luajit-launcher to fill the holes for each specific device)

But we can get something usable without too much tinker. Just need to know the specific pixels covered by the bezel as changing one of its values requires rebuilding the app.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard

Yes, you can fudge the screen size, but it would be better if graphic items on the edge were actually thicker.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #8
mergen3107
Wizard

It actually doesn't really bother me that much, main text margins are well enough adjustable. For progress bars I just set a reasonable font size for them to be functional enough

(or I just understood that Onyx+Android=pain and just wouldn't like to tinker things unless absolutely necessary xD)

Tags
overscan