Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What's the use case for an 8" screen?

I see that the release of an (approximately) 8" device from Kobo seems likely to me imminent, but I'm wondering what that screen size is best suited for?

For me personally, a device with a 6" screen is pretty much perfect for novels. I can carry it around in my pocket (no comments, please, Jon!) and it's always with me. For reading reference material or PDFs, though, I find that a 9.7" screen is the right size. It allows me to read an A4/Letter-formatted page without zooming or scrolling (after I've cropped the margins).

8", though, seems to be neither fish nor fowl. It's too big to easily carry around, but too small for comfortable PDF reading. I'd be interested to know what people see the main use of such a screen size as being.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I see that the release of an (approximately) 8" device from Kobo seems likely to me imminent, but I'm wondering what that screen size is best suited for?

For me personally, a device with a 6" screen is pretty much perfect for novels. I can carry it around in my pocket (no comments, please, Jon!) and it's always with me. For reading reference material or PDFs, though, I find that a 9.7" screen is the right size. It allows me to read an A4/Letter-formatted page without zooming or scrolling (after I've cropped the margins).

8", though, seems to be neither fish nor fowl. It's too big to easily carry around, but too small for comfortable PDF reading. I'd be interested to know what people see the main use of such a screen size as being.
Question, what is the size of the device?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
8", though, seems to be neither fish nor fowl. It's too big to easily carry around, but too small for comfortable PDF reading.
Quick question. Back when you had a Kindle 2 were you okay with the size when carrying around? I'm pretty sure Kobo's new larger screen device is within a few mm of that 6" reader in size (it is of course larger than more modern 6" devices).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Use case?
How about two page landscape?
Also, large text display for the elderly.
Depending on software quality, PDF document viewing and manga.

It's a niche but it should sell moderately well.
Say in the tens of thousands.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Use case?
How about two page landscape?
Also, large text display for the elderly.
Depending on software quality, PDF document viewing and manga.
Too small (for me at least) for most PDFs. It's the same screen size as the iPad Mini, which I replaced with a full-size iPad because I didn't find reading PDFs comfortable on the 7.9" screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe for people who liked the size of hard covers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Too small (for me at least) for most PDFs. It's the same screen size as the iPad Mini, which I replaced with a full-size iPad because I didn't find reading PDFs comfortable on the 7.9" screen.
Try reading a PDF in KOReader (landscape+pagination).

Obviously not what Kobo were going for, but it is a legit use case.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It's much easier to hold for long periods of time than a 10" reader, and much better for high resolution images than a 6" device. I like my 8" Inkpad, which I now use in place of my (old) 10" PB902 device for PDFs and manga.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Quick question. Back when you had a Kindle 2 were you okay with the size when carrying around? I'm pretty sure Kobo's new larger screen device is within a few mm of that 6" reader in size (it is of course larger than more modern 6" devices).
The size & weight of the Kindle 2
8" x 5.3" x 0.36" (203.2mm x 134.6mm x 9.1mm).
10.2 ounces (289.2 grams).

Kindle Keyboard
8" x 5.3" x 0.4" (203.2mm x 134.62mm x 10.16)
10.2 ounces (289.17 grams)

Size and weight of the Kobo Aura One
7.68" x 5.45" x 0.27" (195.1mm x 138.5mm x 6.9mm)
8.89 ounces (252 grams)

The Kobo Aura One (with a larger 7.8" screen) is smaller and lighter then both the Kindle 2 and the Kindle Keyboard. People carried those Kindles around.So since those could be carried around, the Aura One could be carried around just as easily. So whatever bag/case was used to carry around those Kindles can be used to carry around the Aura One.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe for people who liked the size of hard covers?
Exactly.

I have a couple 8" ereaders, and I swear by one (the Pocketbook Inkpad).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm happy with the 6" ereaders. Actually I'd prefer a 5" ereader like the Kobo Mini I used to have but 6" is fine.

However I live in a retirement home where a lot of older people with eyes worse than mine have to have fairly large to very large text and they don't get much text on a screen with their 6" Kindles. They'd benefit from an 8" screen.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I would prefer an 8" screen for a more (hard cover) paper-like experience. My eyesight isn't the greatest. I rarely take my e-reader when I'm out so the better portability of 6" devices isn't that important to me.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With so many people liking the size of 6" readers, I wonder what the use case is for hard covers?
Old 08-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
With so many people liking the size of 6" readers, I wonder what the use case is for hard covers?
My guess is many of those people have not tried a larger screen Reader and don't know the joy's of a larger screen. The problem is that Readers with a larger screen are not easily available for trying out in some shop. So that makes it hard to check out a larger screen.

I went H2O and I don't want to go back to 6". I rather like the 6.8" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I tried 6.8 and 6; I chose 6.