Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-08-2015, 04:57 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Nexus 7 forums?

I recently bought a Nexus 7, and am having trouble setting it up - for basic things unrelated to ebooks. Can anyone recommend a Nexus 7 forum where illiterate newbies like me can go to ask questions? I have googled for forums, but am confused by the range.

Also, the three navigation buttons on my Nexus 7 are quite different from the ones in two books I have: they are (from left to right) a triangle, a circle, and a square. Does this mean anything?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Well there is always XDA which has forums for practically every device you can think of but I've always been a reddit guy and there seems to be a Nexus 7 sub there.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/

If it's really basic android things though I'd try here first

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/

Google changed the look of the navigation buttons in lollipop they still do the same thing.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The round button takes you back to the home screen; the square button displays the menu. I'm not sure what the triangle is that you're referring to - can you post a screen shot?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The round button takes you back to the home screen; the square button displays the menu. I'm not sure what the triangle is that you're referring to - can you post a screen shot?
It's just the back/up button. It changes orientation depending on use.

Really the lollipop buttons are identical in usage but I personally don't understand the change I think the old ones made more sense for people to understand easily.

Basically they are left to right "back", "home", "recent apps"
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
On my Nexus 7 (which I no longer have), the three buttons were as follows:

- Back (to previous screen or application)

- Home page

- Screen showing all running apps, from which you can switch to an app or close it.

(The above is from memory, but I'm reasonably sure it's right.)

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Teknikal is correct (and Mike's memory is good). Posting this from my Nexus 7 and it's triangle (back), circle (home) and square (recent apps).

If the OP needs help, try posting here as well - quite a few experienced N7 users here.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
there is also a manual here :
https://play.google.com/store/books/...BAAAQBAJ&hl=fr
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the responses. I obviously didn't express myself clearly: I know what the buttons do; I wanted to know why they look different to those on images in Nexus for Dummies.

@Teknikal - thanks again - it's running Android 5.1, so that might be the reason. I've had a quick look at the Android Questions site, and it looks good.

@Eowyn - thanks, but I've lost nearly all my French since I came back from Canada in 2000. Is there a way of downloading the manual?
Old 05-10-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Yes it's an Android version thing. My old Xoom is on an older version and the three icons are, in order, a backward circling arrow, an outline of a house and one rectangle on top of another (sorry for the awful descriptions!). Are the one in the books like that?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Yes it's an Android version thing. My old Xoom is on an older version and the three icons are, in order, a backward circling arrow, an outline of a house and one rectangle on top of another (sorry for the awful descriptions!). Are the one in the books like that?
Yes, those were the icons in Android 4.x. They changed in 5.x.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:08 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I obviously didn't express myself clearly: I know what the buttons do; I wanted to know why they look different to those on images in Nexus for Dummies.

@Teknikal - thanks again - it's running Android 5.1, so that might be the reason. I've had a quick look at the Android Questions site, and it looks good.

@Eowyn - thanks, but I've lost nearly all my French since I came back from Canada in 2000. Is there a way of downloading the manual?
Oh, oups. Google acting werid there. The cover is the english one.

Maybe this one :
https://play.google.com/store/books/...BwAAQBAJ&hl=en

To download got to "my books", click on the tree dots and "download epub file"
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Oh, oups. Google acting werid there. The cover is the english one.

Maybe this one :
https://play.google.com/store/books/...BwAAQBAJ&hl=en

To download got to "my books", click on the tree dots and "download epub file"
Thanks.