Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 06:24 AM   #1
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: PW5-v11
Do ebooks burn at 451 degrees Fahrenheit, too?

Very, very disturbing - https://news.yahoo.com/parents-now-w...130015346.html
Old 05-13-2022, 06:38 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
This is not new.
Not news.
There are two extremes of parents for last 30 years:
  • Ones that let their kids access anything on the internet and don't at all supervise what's read from library or accessed. Now letting 7 year olds have smart phones.
  • Extreme control freaks who only let teen have dumb phone, totally control every book in house, no web access at all, or 100% supervised. Often decide to "Home School" even if the local schools are fine.
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
What is new wrt ebook libraries is they are succeeding in cutting off access for other people's children.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Why is this in the Amazon forum rather than news or general discussion, the kindle app isn’t even mentioned.

Putting that aside it’s hardly damning

Quote:
a rural county northwest of Austin, Texas, county officials cut off access to the OverDrive digital library, which residents had used for a decade to find books to read for pleasure, prompting a federal lawsuit against the county.

And on the east coast of Florida, the Brevard County school system removed the Epic app from its computer system, saying it didn’t want kids to have access to material its own school librarians hadn’t vetted
In the first it’s being challenged and will likely not be successful in defeating the challenge. In the other is an app on the school computers.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripweed View Post
What has this to do with a Kindle?
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see the problem - the applications which can be used by children must have parental controls (which are evidently missing in this case).
Old 05-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
Gripweed
Enthusiast
Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.Gripweed shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What has this to do with a Kindle?
How many Kindle users get their books from their local libraries via Overdrive? It only takes a few complaints from people that think that knowledge from books is the devil's work to take away your ability to obtain ebooks (Kindles are ebook readers, and that is the connection) from your library.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How many Kindle users get their books from their local libraries via Overdrive? It only takes a few complaints from people that think that knowledge from books is the devil's work to take away your ability to obtain ebooks (Kindles are ebook readers, and that is the connection) from your library.
Literally every ereader can handle ebooks from libraries, if anything Kobo would have the stronger claim since it has built in overdrive support and doesn’t require the library to carry kindle format.

This isn’t an Amazon or Kindle issue or announcement. It tangentially touches on one aspect of kindle which is by absolutely no means unique to Kindle.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moved from the Kindle forum.

Moderator Notice
A caution: There’s no reason this can’t be discussed without straying into overt partisan politics. However, I’ve deleted one post which was far over the line; please keep board guidelines in regard to politics in mind. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #10
Gripweed
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Literally every ereader can handle ebooks from libraries, if anything Kobo would have the stronger claim since it has built in overdrive support and doesn’t require the library to carry kindle format.

This isn’t an Amazon or Kindle issue or announcement. It tangentially touches on one aspect of kindle which is by absolutely no means unique to Kindle.
It is an ebook issue, you are correct. A Kindle is my only ebook reader and this forum is the only one I read about ebooks. That is the reasoning for my posting it here. Perhaps since your profile only lists owning Kobos maybe someone will post a similar article in your forum.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #11
Gripweed
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Moved from the Kindle forum.

A caution: There’s no reason this can’t be discussed without straying into overt partisan politics. However, I’ve deleted one post which was far over the line; please keep board guidelines in regard to politics in mind. Thanks.
How ironic! My intention was never to point fingers but to make Kindle users aware that their Overdrive at their local library potentially could be in jeopardy. I personally don't care whether it is the left or right doing it or any other named group of people. Censorship is wrong no matter who does it.

Since I don't read or visit the News forum that this thread was moved to, this will be my last post on the subject.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:26 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It is an ebook issue, you are correct. A Kindle is my only ebook reader and this forum is the only one I read about ebooks. That is the reasoning for my posting it here. Perhaps since your profile only lists owning Kobos maybe someone will post a similar article in your forum.
You seem to be under the mistaken notion that you get to choose where your posts go based on the forum you prefer to read. It doesn't work like that. User's are expected to put new threads where they're most topically relevant. Not simply where they want them to go.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:49 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So are Kobo, Pocketbook, nook, and others.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:52 PM   #14
MGlitch
Wizard

Reading further in the article reveals that the Epic app was returned to the school computers with an opt out for parents to activate to remove it from their kids gadgets (I presume from the school).

I’m fine with this, parents should have this right and it doesn’t diminish others ability to keep access.

Digital libraries only speed up the process of curating, if anyone thinks physical libraries aren’t curated especially school libraries, I’ve got a bridge for sale.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:15 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I can only access my local library direct (Limerick, Ireland) with an Android App. The library was physically closed over a year due to covid. After reading one ebook on the tablet I bought a Boyue Likebook Mars Android eInk.

Fortunately they don't censor. It's up to parents to decide. My parents let me read any book in the house, buy any book, borrow any book. Possibly a reaction to my mother's parents who were very restrictive. I think the worst stuff I read in being unsuitable for my age was Fleming's Bond series (I preferred Leslie Charteris's The Saint) and Dennis Wheatley "Bell, book & candle" style of stuff.

"Dad, what's a g-string as clothing?"
I knew about instruments.
I never read all the Bond books or Wheatley. Lost interest in them.

A lot of adverts, daytime TV and internet is far worse than anything in books. But it's up to parents to decide outside of school choices.
Closed Thread