Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
RhD97
Connoisseur
RhD97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kinde 8th generation
Can a converter mess up an azw file?

I wonder if a azw file can be altered or messed up due to a failed convertion when removing drm into a pdf or epub file. As a blank page somewhere in the middle or mixed up texts.
RhD97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Format conversion and DRM removal are two different things. DRM removal is unlikely to mess up formatting.

Conversion from a fixed layout, such as PDF, to a reflowable one, such as EPUB, often does not work well.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Format conversion and DRM removal are two different things. DRM removal is unlikely to mess up formatting.

Conversion from a fixed layout, such as PDF, to a reflowable one, such as EPUB, often does not work well.
Oh I see. But i mean from azw to pdf or epub
Old 07-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"azw" is a file extension that is sometimes used by Amazon for different formats. If you are referring to the old MOBI format, which Amazon currently calls MOBI7, then conversion from that to EPUB or PDF via calibre usually works well.

That is, if the original book was formatted correctly to begin with. There are a lot of self-published books available on Amazon with horrible formatting and conversion won't fix that.

If you mention a specific book it will be easier to be more specific.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
"azw" is a file extension that is sometimes used by Amazon for different formats. If you are referring to the old MOBI format, which Amazon currently calls MOBI7, then conversion from that to EPUB or PDF via calibre usually works well.

That is, if the original book was formatted correctly to begin with. There are a lot of self-published books available on Amazon with horrible formatting and conversion won't fix that.

Oh I see. But rereading my question i realize i wasn't clear enough. I don't mean paragraphs positions. I mean texts getting out of order and hidden words or pages.

All books Im wondering are of well known publishers. I only wish to know if theres any likelihood of what i said, of texts and words being distorted in the process of converting from kindle file to epub and pdf. Ive converted many files and its not viable to analyse page after page.
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhD97 View Post
I mean texts getting out of order and hidden words or pages.
I haven't seen anything like that. Again if you can point to a specific Amazon listing it would be helpful.

(It occurs to me that these AZW books might not have been obtained from Amazon. If so, you are on your own for solving the problem as far as I am concerned. Books from non-legitimate sites can have terrible formatting.)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Does the original file direct from amazon have the problem on your kindle? If so, that is the problem.

If original file is OK, does the azw file with DRM removed have the problem on your kindle? If so, then DRM removal somehow caused the problem.

If the deDRM azw file is OK on the kindle and the EPUB is not OK, that is rare, and specifics would be needed to figure out what went wrong.

All bets are off converting to PDF.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
RhD97
Connoisseur

I downloaded , removed drm and converted all files from Amazon Kindle using epuber ultimate. All files were perfect when I read them on my kindle apps. Im not saying my new converted files have been damaged. Im just asking if they could be, since i haven't checked every single word on each book.
Examples of books:
ME- Elton John
BOY ERASED- Garrard Conley

I hope i was clear now
Old 07-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I wonder if a azw file can be altered or messed up due to a failed convertion when removing drm into a pdf or epub file. As a blank page somewhere in the middle or mixed up texts.
Using the DeDRM plugin for Calibre, a KF8 or Mobi eBook will not be messed up due to the removal of the DRM.

Calibre does a pretty good job converting. But there are times when the resulting ePub will need editing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If you do convert a self-published KF8 or Mobi to ePub, check the code in the ePub because it very well could need fixing because a lot of eBooks self-published are just nasty under the hood.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I haven't seen anything like that. Again if you can point to a specific Amazon listing it would be helpful.

(It occurs to me that these AZW books might not have been obtained from Amazon. If so, you are on your own for solving the problem as far as I am concerned. Books from non-legitimate sites can have terrible formatting.)
I don't know of anywhere but Amazon where you get eBooks with .azw as the file extension.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I downloaded , removed drm and converted all files from Amazon Kindle using that program that we do not mention that stole free code in order to make money All files were perfect when I read them on my kindle apps. Im not saying my new converted files have been damaged. Im just asking if they could be, since i haven't checked every single word on each book.
Examples of books:
ME- Elton John
BOY ERASED- Garrard Conley

I hope i was clear now
Please delete that program and never mention it again as long as you live. They stole free code to make their program and make money from it and you got succored into paying for code that you could get for free with actual support from people who are not out to make a buck. Oh and we don't like to help anyone using this program.

Use Calibre with the DeDRM plugin to remove the DRM and convert. That way if the conversion goes south, you have a place to come to to ask about the problem and if the problem is in Calibre, that usually gets fixed pretty quick. When you've used Calibre and the DeDRM plugin with that eBook, please come back and say how the conversion turned out.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-16-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please delete that program and never mention it again as long as you live. They stole free code to make their program and make money from it and you got succored into paying for code that you could get for free with actual support from people who are not out to make a buck.

Use Calibre with the DeDRM plugin to remove the DRM and convert. That way if the conversion goes south, you have a place to come to to ask about the problem and if the problem is in Calibre, that usually gets fixed pretty quick.
Oh I havent paid for it. I used a serial code. Is it still that bad?
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh I havent paid for it. I used a serial code. Is it still that bad?
Very.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #15
RhD97
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please delete that program and never mention it again as long as you live. They stole free code to make their program and make money from it and you got succored into paying for code that you could get for free with actual support from people who are not out to make a buck. Oh and we don't like to help anyone using this program.

Use Calibre with the DeDRM plugin to remove the DRM and convert. That way if the conversion goes south, you have a place to come to to ask about the problem and if the problem is in Calibre, that usually gets fixed pretty quick. When you've used Calibre and the DeDRM plugin with that eBook, please come back and say how the conversion turned out.
Ive failed to use dedrm in calibre. Ive tried many times but to no avail.