Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
golagha
Enthusiast
golagha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad Black
Can not delete a network profile! Even with its instructions

Hi,

I have made 4 profiles in my iLiad in order to connect to a Wired DHCP server and update the firmware, also I have failed all time!! but I think that there is something I do in a wrong way.

No I am getting tired and want to delete all network profiles. I go to the "Edit" section for each profile and see that I will be able to delete a profile, if and only if I delete its name and press "Ok"

I do this instruction for several times but even can't delete profiles!!

I decided to do a factory reset on my iLiad in order to delete any wrong config. searched for how to reset to factory settings and found a valuable post (by Dear Adam). It requires that I have ver 2.11 (already have) and developer packer (not have). in order to have a developer packer or even download a file in the name of cf-card-....zip from irextechnology.com i need to connect to iDS, in this way you see we have a paradox!!

Any body have idea how to delete network settings?

Additional Comments:

I have recieved all information about dns, gateway, free IPs, masks , etx. from our site admin, however this magical black box dosen't work for me to update itself!!!

I even connected my iLiad to a free Cat5 slot on switch and prepared all requirements (IP's, gateway, dns, etc.) using a normal ethernet cable.

I beleive that there are many bugs and limitations in this device. I read somewhere in this forum that iLiad is even sensetive to the ethernet cable!

I even can't delete my network profiles Even with iLiad instruction to do that!

Sorry for iLiad! a good hardware and a weak system of support or operating software with such a limitations. does it mean that every time they release an upgraded firmware I need to find a network engineer to update my iliad and pay for it?
regards.
golagha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I'm sorry for you problems, I never encountered something like this.

Do you know how to delete files with "recycle bin" icon in toolbar?
It' explained in the manual.
It's the same with deleting network profiles.
# click recycle bin
# click profile
# click recycle bin again to approve choosing. Done.
[EDIT:] At least this works with 2.12 this way, just checked it. I don't know whether this works with your 2.11, too.

So both ways
# automatic IP via DHCP
# static IP with subnet mask, defaut gateway, DNS
are not working?
Any special proxy server needed?
When you use the same values as your PC at desk there is still no connection?

Did you enter your myiRex account data in iLiad settings.
You don't get further then "connecton successful"?

Could you check connection with another LAN? Problem with this LAN only or broken LAN card instead?

Quote:
I beleive that there are many bugs and limitations in this device. I read somewhere in this forum that iLiad is even sensetive to the ethernet cable!
Crosslink and patch cable look the same but do different stuff.

You have iliad w/ wifi, right? Have you access to a WLAN somewhere? To get atleast the dev package needed for reflash.

Last edited by yokos; 06-01-2008 at 02:17 PM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
golagha
Enthusiast

Dear yokos,
Thanks for your help, guide and kindness.

Honestly I've had pre-mentioned problem (connection to iDS) for 3 days! I have created two topics in irextechnologies forum and finally I decided to submit a ticket to irex. I did it and now, waiting for answer! But it seems that you are the first one trying to help me. so thanks again.

Regarding to network configs, I'm very happy caze it worked! Finally I deleted all defined network profiles successfully and only with standard approach and not by use of iRex "Hint" in "Edit" window (it doesn't work but not important! A USELESS HINT IN EDIT WINDOW For Ver. 2.11 !!). Thanks for your help again.

Regarding to having a successful connection to iDS, I try to describe all settings and info precisely as following:

1. I have created an account on iRex site (section for downloading firmware). I have logged on successfully. and set all required info overthere.

2. I have checked my account (user and pass) many times. it's the same as i created on iRex.

3. concerning our network: we have a LAN with Windows 2003 server. every body needs to use a user and password to join to the defined domain. after logging on, we have internet connection. all members use automatic IP configuration (DHCP service is enabled). and we have several switches to support a LAN. regarding to my position, I have some chances. for example, there is a IP range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.10 that do not need to join to the domain. so I have three alternative as following:
. . a : use my user name and account to join to domain and use automatic IP config in my pc in order to connect to internet.
. . b: remove my pc from domain and use it as a workgroup member. it requires a user and pass and using a free IP in the above mentioned IP range.
. . c: use my user name and account to join to domain with one of the free static IP's

I have tested all of them and worked properly in my PC. I have a connection using alternative "c" just now.

beside these, the LAN have a proxy server. assume that its name is "internet". In th LAN settings of Internet explorer (in My PC) I see that an automatic configuration script having "http://internet:8080/array.dll?Get.Routing.Script" exists. in the proxy server section of LAN settings (in the connection page of IE) I have "internet" with port "8080".

in the manual of iLiad we read that the protocol (http:// in here) must be omited. so I enter "internet" and "8080" in iLiad wired network profile. on the other hand I have entered all required data (IP, mask, gateway and dns) to iLiad. I have used a free IP in the above mentioned range which doesn't conflict with any other IP in the LAN. These are my settings for "Wired Static with proxy" network profile.

Now, the only thing I need to do is to connect the travel hubof iLiad to iLiad and a Normal (not cross) cable to connect the travel hub to one of free slots in our switch (3com brand). after doing that for several times, I have recieved a short message : "unsuccessful" !!!!

After that, I tried to make some new profile with all possible alternatives. there are 4 alternatives:
. . 1. Every thing automatic
. . 2. Every thing automatic but proxy settings "internet" and "8080" port added.
. . 3. Every thing static whithout proy settings (all required IPs etc. entered)
. . 4. Every thing static with proxy settings "internet" and "8080"

None of them worked!!! so I began to read more and more. I read all articles in iRex site (FAQs and troubleshootings). They have mentioned that port 443 or equivalently HTTPS protocol must be opened by server. I called site admin and she told me that every thing is ok! unfortunately she is at rest caze of illness. I spent more time with ISA server configuration program. I saw that for above mentioned IPs , we have HTTPS (same port) opened!

Every time wen I try to connet to net or even iDS, I have 2 leds on my travel hub (just like any LN adaptor). the first one is green and turns on when I am trying to connect but the second remain orange and blinking.

My PC connects to the internet just with the same settings that I have implemented in my iLiad, but iLiad fails.

There is a difference between two above cases. My pc requires a user and password in order to join to the dns (on even join to a workgroup) but I don't know how to set any user and password for iLiad IF NECESSARY.

There are some information about a computer in iLiad setting pages. which requires a computer name, computer domain, user and password. I think that is only used for sync. purposes (i.g. with companion software). Honestly I have set it up using my PCs info one time and lefting it cleared another time. it did not work in two cases!!

I called the admin. she told me that our ADSL modem has router. I told her that I will fail again, if the ISP uses a MAC address filtering. she emphasized that the ISP doesn't use a MAC address filtering. I connected the travel hub directly to the modem with a cross cable and the same result!!! (iRex have mentioned that connection the iLiad to the modem will not lead to any result.). on the other hand connecting the iLiad to the switch (DIRECTLY) had no result!!! again.

My iLiad have WLAN too. but this only clear the problem and doesn't solve it. assume that I use a WLAN network (it is not so accessible to me) and upgrade to ver 2.12. now assume that 5 months later we have informed about new version 2.13 . now I need to do the same approach andspend more time and money to upgrade iLiad.

Somewhere, I have mentioned a simple question (iRex forum). Why iLiad team doesn't serve a simple approach to upgrade the device? for example, one of my friend has a CASIO CLASSPAD 300 calculator. he has entered all required data (serial number, product ID, etc.) once in the casio site. now he needs only to download an exe file (regarding to OS, i.g. windows in our case study) when logged in to a secure page and execute it. it simply does anything required and transfer the firmware to the iLiad. this is a simple procedure, you know? despite of this simple approache, I have to do much settings (in a network engineer level!!) only to update my iLiad.

I wish I had the possibility to log on to a secure page (regarding my pproved info) and download the firmware executable (regarding my OS). this way I had save my time and not getting nervus!!

whould you please help me regarding all information presented in this post?

Regards and thanks again for your time, help and kindness.

Last edited by golagha; 06-02-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Text modification
Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
DigiDirk
Connoisseur
DigiDirk doesn't litterDigiDirk doesn't litter

Device: iLiad
See your thread at the iRex Forum.

Dirk
DigiDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I think you can use the trash can icon to delete a network profile.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
golagha
Enthusiast

Dear DigiDirk,

Thanks for your attention. I hve made changes according to your post. I think that your right about proxy name and resolving, because I feel that now I am closer to the solution. I receive some signals. Frankly I fail again and again but some signals show that I must use IP of the proxy server.

Regarding to the security, as you mentioned, there are some companies with high security connection settings, unfortuately as ours!!!

But I have a simple question from iLiad team.
As I mentioned somewhere (in this forum or mobileread forum), iLiad has a good quality of hardware and I am happy caze of this. BUT I think that there are many better support systems than the current system.

assume that due to security configuration of the ISA server (for example ssl-tunnel, etc.) I cant connect to the iDS. every time I must give my time in order ti upgrade the device or to see if any new firmware is available. as your point of view, is this a good structure to upgrade a system?

we have many devices, even linux-based devices from satellite recievers to phones and.... it is very simple to upgrade their firmware. do you think that there is a major difference between iLiad with other devices?

In my point of view and as a greate support point, it is very important to make it simple to upgrade a device regardless to the type of our connection to the internet.

There is an important point to emphasize. Assume that your connection to the internet dsconnect due to some technical problems. I have read many post that iLiad lost its stability, booting and booting again, requires formatting or reflashing or even flashing the bootloader (by iRex company). this happens in a critical time interval when the new firmware writes the bootloader (atleast I think so). If the upgrade procedure has the ability of applying without any internet connection, we will have less problems.

Any way, thanks again for your prompt reply.
Hereby I request for a simple and better structure for upgrading the firmware. If honorable iLiad team read this post.

Regards
Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
Crisby
Fanatic
Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Crisby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Hi, are you aware you don't need to have an iRex account to update your software/firmware to version 2:12 via iDS? You can just leave the settings blank on page 4 of Device Manager on your iLiad.

(To download the developer package or newspapers via iDS, you need an MyiRex account, as they link to your Mac address.)

Have you tried connecting to an unsecured network e.g. Starbucks? There may be a wifi hotspot near you that you can use to test your iLiad's wireless connectivity.

Note: An iLiad can not be re-flashed without the developer package. Also, an iLiad will NEVER need to be re-flashed unless you have the developer package.

Its 3rd party software that causes problems that might require an iLiad to be reflashed.

Last edited by Crisby; 06-05-2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Crisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
golagha
Enthusiast

Dear Crisby
Thanks for your post.

After a lot of efforts, I have concluded that iLiad needs a low level security connection. I have worked with ISA Server management toolas and have traced its activities. in details it needs some rquirements. I have prepared them for it, till now. But the monitoring system shows that iLiad sens a request for openening the https port and after successfull result, it closes the https connection, after some miliseconds. I don't now why?

Regards