Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2024, 03:35 PM   #271
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In order to have hyphens more to my liking, could I unzip the .tgz file, change the values of LEFTHYPHENMIN 2 and RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3 to LEFTHYPHENMIN 3 and RIGHTHYPHENMIN 4, and then create a .tgz again?
PunkyKoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 04:07 PM   #272
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkyKoopa View Post
In order to have hyphens more to my liking, could I unzip the .tgz file, change the values of LEFTHYPHENMIN 2 and RIGHTHYPHENMIN 3 to LEFTHYPHENMIN 3 and RIGHTHYPHENMIN 4, and then create a .tgz again?
I would change the LEFTHYPHENMIN to 3 and leave the other as is and see how you get on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:43 AM   #273
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur
PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PunkyKoopa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will try with 3 and 3 then.

The process to do it is as I said, right? Unzip, go to the dictionary, change the values, and create the .tgz again, right?
Old 05-22-2024, 05:11 AM   #274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will try with 3 and 3 then.

The process to do it is as I said, right? Unzip, go to the dictionary, change the values, and create the .tgz again, right?
Or you can extract the dictionary, edit it, and put it back over the existing dictionary.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:38 AM   #275
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

Do you mean extract from the Kobo?

I was talking about the download from the first page of the topic.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:46 AM   #276
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Do you mean extract from the Kobo?

I was talking about the download from the first page of the topic.
So was I. Extract from the KoboRoot.tgz, make the edit and put the file back. That makes less chance of an error in building the KoboRoot.tgz.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:51 AM   #277
PunkyKoopa
Connoisseur

I see, but I can’t see the difference. Maybe I am missing something but I think that we are saying the same thing.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #278
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I see, but I can’t see the difference. Maybe I am missing something but I think that we are saying the same thing.
Maybe.

Just edit the dictionary with a program that will not change the line endings such as Notepd++ (if on Windows) and rebuild KoboRoot.tgz so it's the same as it was and you're good to go.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:57 AM   #279
.tycho
.tycho began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some help, please. I'm reading KePUBs on my Libra 2. I've installed JSWolf's dictionary from the first page, and in Calibre, I have KTE set to:

Hyphenate files: On
Min word length: 6 characters
Min characters before hyphen: 2 characters
Min characters after hyphen: 3 characters
Max consecutive: 2 lines

I sent my book to the device, and here's an example screen:
Attachment 208424

I'm a bit confused. Why is "th-ing" being hyphenated? It's only 5 characters. Any thoughts? Also, do the settings in KTE override the LEFTHYPHENMIN and RIGHTHYPHENMIN in the hyphenation dictionary?

Thx!
Ok, so I did some more testing and I think I figured out what's going on. It looks like kepubs do NOT respect the minimum word length setting. Hence, why "thing" became "th-ing", because it met the 2 characters before and 3 characters after the hyphen setting.

So what I've done is change the setting in KTE to 3 characters before and 4 characters after, so that only words 7 characters or more get hyphenated. Now, things look MUCH better in my kepubs.

I'm curious what you think about my approach, and thanks for your help!
.tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:05 PM   #280
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
Ok, so I did some more testing and I think I figured out what's going on. It looks like kepubs do NOT respect the minimum word length setting. Hence, why "thing" became "th-ing", because it met the 2 characters before and 3 characters after the hyphen setting.

So what I've done is change the setting in KTE to 3 characters before and 4 characters after, so that only words 7 characters or more get hyphenated. Now, things look MUCH better in my kepubs.

I'm curious what you think about my approach, and thanks for your help!
That should work. It's a good solution.