Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll have a look at what my Libra 2 shows up as when I next plug it into the laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:14 AM   #47
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That thread was more about the database corruption issue. Otherwise, the name shown for a connected Kobo ereader depends on where you look at it. Other than with some Windows Preview editions, I did not see the incorrect driver being used.

For instance, my Libra Colour shows in the Safely Eject widget as eReader-4.39.22861, in File Explorer, it shows as KOBOeReader, in Device Manager under Disk Drives, it shows Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Drive and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, it shows as a USB Mass Storage Device.
Under Disk Drives that Linux thing shows up on mine as well, so it might not be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DM DD 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	208357  
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:26 AM   #48
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Also shows up in "Other Devices"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OD 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	208358  
Old 05-18-2024, 04:26 AM   #49
Chocky
Addict

The Event Viewer does show warnings though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DM Events 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	208360  
Old 05-18-2024, 07:58 AM   #50
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know why but my experience is that Kobo ereaders prefer an USB2 port over USB3. Connection issues are less frequent with USB2.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 08:00 AM   #51
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I don't know why but my experience is that Kobo ereaders prefer an USB2 port over USB3. Connection issues are less frequent with USB2.
Tried both 2.0 ports, same problem
Old 05-18-2024, 09:19 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
My Aura H2O had no problem with USB 3.
Old 05-18-2024, 12:24 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Also shows up in "Other Devices"
What happens if you try to update/install the driver for the device showing in Other Devices. Or try deleting it and letting Windows re-install on the next connection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:02 AM   #54
Chocky
Addict

Well,

I have connected the Kobo before and uninstalled the Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device, and I have also uninstalled the driver in the USB section of Device Manager.

What I hadn't done before is Uninstalled the device in Disk Drives in Device Manager and clicked on the "Attempt to remove the driver from the system" box

So I clicked on the box, uninstalled device and driver, plugged the Kobo in, windows came up with the "New device" box, and all is working now.

I do not really understand Win 11 that much but it appears that uninstalling device and driver separately didn't work, but uninstalling them together does.

Does that make any sense at all?

Last edited by Chocky; 05-19-2024 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:50 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well,

I have connected the Kobo before and uninstalled the Linux File-Stor Gadget USB Device, and I have also uninstalled the driver in the USB section of Device Manager.

What I hadn't done before is Uninstalled the device in Disk Drives in Device Manager and clicked on the "Attempt to remove the driver from the system" box

So I clicked on the box, uninstalled device and driver, plugged the Kobo in, windows came up with the "New device" box, and all is working now.

I do not really understand Win 11 that much but it appears that uninstalling device and driver separately didn't work, but uninstalling them together does.

No idea what caused the problem, but I'm glad you have your Kobo working once again with Windows 11.
Old 05-19-2024, 02:58 PM   #56
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No idea what caused the problem, but I'm glad you have your Kobo working once again with Windows 11.
Interesting enough I just had to do the same for my printer USB
Old 05-19-2024, 04:38 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Yes it does. I've had to remove all the devices/drivers in the chain a couple of times to correct driver installation issues.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:12 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've had Win7 install wrong drivers for external USB Soundblaster and Wacom.
I've had Win10 updates mess up working drivers for SD card (on a tablet that needed it!) and built-in sound by installing ones that didn't work.

They expect users to test?

Turn off all autoruns & autoplays and use a not-MS browser with a script blocker and not-Outlook email client with remote content blocked.

check with silentrunners.org after booting in safe mode.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:01 AM   #59
Moloch981
Moloch981 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Well,

THANK YOU so much for this message (and thanks also to all the others who helped on this thread), I had the exact same problem as you (see the thread I opened a few days ago https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=361419 ) and following these steps it seems that my Kobo is working again. I have plugged and unplugged it a couple times and both File Explorer and Calibre detect it again.

It was driving me mad!

Thanks!
Moloch981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:38 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Great to know that you found what you needed to solve your issue!